RTP DesportoPoste Okechukwu Okeke reforça basquetebol do BenficaESPN DeportesCheco Pérez arrancará 21° en la Sprint Race de ZandvoortInquirer EntertainmentMiss Grand USA crowns new 2026 queen after titleholder’s terminationESPNLet's rank all 32 NFL teams by position group: Where each roster is strong -- and where each needs workBollywood HungamaEktaa R Kapoor joins hands with Amar Butala for Sajid Khan’s horror-comedy Hero Ki HorrorineThe Jerusalem PostPrince Harry, other high profile claimants face multi million pound bill over failed lawsuitInquirerPalawan brings tourism, trade expo to Cebu in OctoberDaily MaverickMADLANGA COMMISSION: Fadiel Adams’ explosive admission on the mystery Idac affidavit, implicating Andrea JohnsonColliderDC Just Officially Accused Superman of Murder3DNewsСредневековый симулятор The Guild — Europa 1410 сменил название и получил новую дату выхода в раннем доступе SteamNTVEski bakandan araç savunması: Kiralamıştım başkasına kullandırılmışCBS SportsArsenal vs. Coventry City odds, prediction, time: 2026 EPL picks for Aug. 21 by expert on 7-1 roll
The Daily Newsstand · Free, Always
Friday, August 21, 2026

Prince Harry and six others ordered to pay initial £9.5m to Daily Mail publisher

Translate

Prince Harry and a group of six other high-profile figures have been ordered to make an initial payment of £9.54m to the Daily Mail's publisher after they lost their High Court privacy case.

The seven claimants, also including Sir Elton John and Liz Hurley, must pay the initial figure by 28 August - and could potentially pay up to £25m more after that in a victory for Associated Newspapers Limited (ANL).

The group had sued ANL over allegations of unlawful information-gathering, which the publisher had strenuously denied.

On 7 July, Judge Mr Justice Nicklin dismissed the claims and said the public figures had failed to prove the allegations.

The judge ruled that he was making an exceptional order to force the Duke and others to pay up to £34.5m in costs incurred by the newspaper group because of the way the case had been brought - including unsupportable claims that top executives from the group had lied to the Leveson public inquiry.

Prince Harry and the other six claimants including Sir Elton John have until 2 October to attempt to launch an appeal.

The judge also ruled that ANL's costs should be determined on an indemnity basis, which is more favourable to the publisher in terms of the amount it can recover, aside from where orders had already been made.

Friday's court decision comes just days after the Duke and Duchess announced their plan to return to the UK, with their children Prince Archie, seven, and Princess Lilibet, five, enrolled to start school in September.

The seven claimants who have been ordered to pay an initial £9.5m in the coming week are Prince Harry, Sir Elton John and his husband David Furnish, Sir Simon Hughes, Sadie Frost, Liz Hurley, and Baroness Doreen Lawrence.

During the trial, dozens of people gave evidence including Prince Harry and the other claimants. The Duke of Sussex flew in from the US to attend court in person.

Many current and former Associated Newspapers journalists and executives gave evidence denying illegal activity.

In a joint statement following the judge's ruling last month, Prince Harry and Baroness Doreen Lawrence, another claimant and peer whose son Stephen was murdered in 1993, said: "We came to Court seeking justice and accountability. But we have received neither."

"It is a complete and obvious whitewash, but sadly not altogether unexpected", the pair added.

ANL had asked for more than £9.9 million as an interim payment ahead of future hearings to decide its legal costs in depth.

However, lawyers for the claimants said the interim payment should be just over £7.9 million.

Mr Justice Nicklin previously said the claimants would need to pay the interim payment on August 28.

View the original on BBC News

KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.