RTP DesportoPGR abre inquérito à morte de ciclista na Volta a Portugalוואלהתינוקת בת שנה וחצי נפלה מבימבה חשמלית - מצבה קשהThe Jerusalem PostIran threatens to go 'fully offensive' if diplomacy with US fails as 60-day MoU period endsESPN Deportes¿Cómo se califica la temporada baja de los Trail Blazers?ESPNSources: NBA lacks proof Ballmer paid via firmsPunchBe faithful servants, Anglican bishop tells workersInquirer EntertainmentNextone’s ‘Nagkulang’ turns relationship overthinking into an upbeat track20 MinutenSo viel Geld würde Georgina bei Trennung von Ronaldo kassierenIl Fatto QuotidianoRoma, 24enne ucciso a colpi di arma da fuoco: muore in ospedaleCBS NewsWatch Live: Prosecution rests in Lindsay Clancy murder trial, defense takes overБи-би-сиСпецпосланник Трампа Кушнер встретился с Нетаньяху после переговоров с ХАМАС. Смогут ли США добиться согласия Израиля на мирный план по Газе?Golem.deAnzeige: Lego Speed Champion Ford Mustang und BMW M3 (E30) bei Amazon nie billiger
The Daily Newsstand · Free, Always
Monday, August 17, 2026

Xenophobia: South African anti-migration group issues fresh deadline for foreigners

Translate

South Africa’s March and March movement has stepped up its campaign against undocumented migration, setting September 30 as the latest date by which it wants undocumented foreigners to leave the country.

The group announced the deadline on Monday while staging a demonstration in Durban, where the Southern African Development Community (SADC) summit is taking place.

The protesters moved through parts of the city as they sought to draw the attention of regional leaders to their demands over undocumented migrants.

March and March used the protest to appeal to African governments whose nationals are living in South Africa without valid immigration documents to take responsibility for their citizens.

The latest action follows a nationwide mobilisation by the group on June 30, when it called for stronger government measures to address undocumented immigration.

The movement said its September 30 deadline would be followed by a larger protest aimed at mounting further pressure on the South African government.

It urged South Africans to cooperate with law enforcement authorities by reporting people suspected of staying in the country illegally.

The demonstration coincided with the gathering of leaders from the 16 SADC member states for the bloc’s 46th Ordinary Summit of Heads of State and Government in Durban.

The renewed anti-immigration campaign comes against the backdrop of concerns about xenophobia and attacks targeting foreign nationals in South Africa.

President Cyril Ramaphosa has previously criticised the mistreatment of migrants from other African countries, warning against actions that undermine regional integration.

“We are deeply ashamed that people from other countries have suffered ill-treatment and that others have been forced to leave the country because of threats of violence,” Ramaphosa said.

He also warned against a contradiction between regional integration efforts and hostility towards foreigners, saying, “We cannot preach integration at a summit like this and practise exclusion on the streets of our countries.”

View the original on Vanguard

KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.