וואלהשני מחבלים שקידמו מתווי טרור נעצרו בכפר קבאטיהDaily MaverickFUTURE INVESTMENT: Thrive by Five uses data to drive smarter investment in early childhoodESPN Deportes¿Quién es Joshua Báez? El dominicano del histórico debut de 3 jonronesESPNWhich NFL teams are in the best shape for the next three seasons? 1-32 projections for 2027-29The Jerusalem PostHealth Min. reviews possible sperm donor genetic mismatch at Assuta Medical Center, Tel AvivRolling StoneTaylor Swift Can’t Stop Listening to Phoebe Bridgers’ New AlbumColliderAll 7 X-Men Actors Announced at D23kickerAwoniyi verstärkt PL-Aufsteiger - Milosevic vor VfB-AbgangLa PresseAffaire d’espionnage à l’OTAN | Des auditions sur le processus de contrôle de sécurité auront lieuThe Hollywood Reporter‘60 Minutes’ Adds The New Yorker’s Ariel Levy as CBS Series Keeps Staffing UpХабрТочка GANSAPressing degli Usa sul piano Gaza, Trump: 'Basta raid sulla Striscia'
The Daily Newsstand · Free, Always
Monday, August 17, 2026

Julian Lloyd Webber ‘very grateful’ for successful treatment for prostate cancer

Translate

Cellist Julian Lloyd Webber has said he feels “very grateful” following successful treatment for prostate cancer.

The 75-year-old musician announced his diagnosis in April shortly after he made his return to the concert platform following a 12-year absence due to an injury.

On Monday, he said he was “so thankful” for all the care he received following months of intensive treatment.

Julian Lloyd Webber attending the press night of Andrew Lloyd Webber’s School Of Rock The Musical at the New London Theatre (Ian West/PA)

PA Archive

He added that he was shocked to learn that men over 50 can reportedly now be refused a PSA blood test which checks the level of prostate specific antigen (PSA) in your blood. High levels may be a sign of a prostate condition.

Current NHS guidance says routine PSA testing is not currently offered, but a doctor may offer it if they think you have symptoms. Anyone with a prostate can also ask a GP for a test.

The Telegraph reported last week that new guidance from the Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) will remove that right, with GPs deciding whether testing is appropriate.

Lloyd Webber said: “I am so thankful for all the expert care I received but I was shocked to learn that my request for an NHS blood test might now be refused.

“I would never have discovered that I had prostate cancer without that blood test.

“I feel very grateful and now, after my successful treatment, I can’t wait to start my Irish tour next week”.

The UK National Screening Committee (UK NSC) does not recommend screening all men for prostate cancer because the PSA blood test is not a reliable enough test to screen all men, and said that it would likely cause more harm than good.

It does recommend a targeted screening programme for men aged 45 to 61 who have a pathogenetic BRCA2 gene with a family history of breast, ovarian, pancreatic or prostate cancer.

Julian Lloyd Webber performs during the Classic FM Live at the Millennium Centre in Cardiff (Tim Ireland/PA)

PA Archive

The renowned cellist is the brother of composer and theatre impresario Baron Andrew Lloyd Webber and took a hiatus as a performer due to a herniated disc caused by the repeated bowing action of his right arm.

The injury was so severe he sold his Stradivarius, thinking he would never be able to play it on stage again.

He returned to the stage for a birthday charity gala concert at the Wigmore Hall in April with a string of upcoming shows scheduled across Northern Ireland and Ireland including Dublin, Derry and Limerick in August and September.

Lloyd Webber, who performed at the closing ceremony of the 2012 London Olympics, won a Brit for his recording of Edward Elgar’s Cello Concerto.

He was made an OBE in 2021 for services to music.

The Department of Health and Social Care have been contacted for comment.

View the original on Evening Standard

KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.