וואלהטורקיה: נמשיך לתמוך במאמצים של סוריה לפתח יכולות צבאיותESPNQB uncertainty for half the NFL next offseason? 16 situations to watch and possible outcomesDaily MaverickMotor racing-Verstappen commits to Red Bull until end of 2030Bollywood HungamaManoj Bajpayee to play Mahatma Gandhi in Sudhir Mishra directorial backed by Anubhav SinhaRTP DesportoMax Verstappen renova com a Red Bull até 2030 com o desejo de "voltar ao topo"PunchExpert warns against using palm, vegetable oil as sexual lubricantThe Jerusalem Post'We will tear you to pieces': Indian general warns Erdogan about pact with Saudi Arabia, PakistanInquirer Entertainment‪Soft launch? Magui Ford gives glimpse of rumored romance with Robbie JaworskiSky TG24Allerta meteo, i danni del maltempo oggi in Liguria. FOTOХабрКак провести gap‑анализ казначейства в 1С и не заложить лишние доработки в бюджетComplete SportsHamburg Agree Deal With Nice For MoffiCNewsМалый и средний бизнес теперь может сам создавать смены в «Авито Подработке»
The Daily Newsstand · Free, Always
Thursday, August 20, 2026

Police: Ateneo de Zamboanga shooter used PWD ramp to evade checks

Translate

MANILA,  Philippines— Police on Thursday raised the possibility that the  shooter of the Ateneo de Zamboanga University (ADZU) incident deliberately used the ramp intended for students with disabilities to avoid security checks.

The August 18  fatal shooting inside the campus left two students killed, including the Grade 9 child in conflict with the law (CICL), and injured two more students.

 READ: 2 reported victims in Zamboanga City school shooting

Article continues after this advertisement

According to Zamboanga City Police Office Director Col. Fidel Fortaleza Jr., the CICL entered  the university at 7:44 a.m. on board  a pick up vehicle and was dropped off directly at a ramp area inside the campus, bypassing the regular security check at the main entrance.

FEATURED STORIES

NEWSINFO

NEWSINFO

NEWSINFO

“Dun po sya nagdaan at naidala nya yun bag na  kung saan dun nakalagay ang mga pistol na ginamit nya sa pagbaril po (That was the route he took, and he was able to bring the bag containing the pistols that he used in the shooting),”  Fotaleza said, responding to Sen. Risa Hontiveros’ queries during the hearing of the Senate committee on women and children.

“Wala bang nagche- check dun sa ramp kung saan dumeretso yung shooter? (Was there no security check at the ramp where the shooter went directly?),” asked Hontiveros, who heads the  women panel.

“Sa ramp po wala po. Meron po sa gate. May mga security officers ang ADZU  na nagche check sa regular na dinadaanan po ng mga bata o ng mga estudyante (There was no security check at the ramp. There were security officers at the gate who conduct regular checks on the students and other individuals who pass through the main entrance),” Fortaleza said.

When the senator pressed why the shooter did not go through the regular security inspection, Fortaleza said it was one indication that the shooter intended to sneak in the two pistols he used in the shooting.

Article continues after this advertisement

“So yan po ang isang angle natin na may motive talaga na magdala sya ng armas at magbaril po yung shooter (So, that is one angle that the shooter had a clear motive to bring the firearms and carry out the shooting),” he pointed out.

“Indication  po na talagang may motibo  sya na dadalhin nya yung baril po (An indication that he really intended to bring the firearm),”  he further stressed.

Article continues after this advertisement

It was already reported earlier that the firearms belonged to the shooter’s father,  who was identified as the  district commander of the Port of Zamboanga Enforcement and Security Services.

The father supposedly left the guns in the vehicle, which was used  to bring his son to the school. 

READ: Ateneo de Zamboanga shooter’s father left guns in car — BOC

“Ang sakit po talaga sa ating mga adults na makarinig  na may ganung motibo ang isang bata na maging shooter (It is truly heartbreaking for us adults to hear that a child had such an intention to become a shooter),” Hontiveros lamented.

Initial investigation indicated that the shooter first fired shots in Room 405 on the fourth  floor of  junior high school building and then then moved to Room 404, where one of the victims was hit by a bullet.

A few minutes later, Fortaleza said the shooter went up to the fifth floor, where he turned the gun on himself.

Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.

Your subscription has been successful.

“At yan po ay na witness ng ating mga responding police. At nagbigay po ng warning  ang police natin, they are shouting to drop the gun…(This was witnessed by our responding police officers. The police officers issued a warning, shouting at him to drop the gun…),” he said, adding that the shooter still went up to the fifth floor and shot himself. /mr

View the original on Inquirer

KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.