The Jerusalem PostDebbie Wasserman Schultz wins primary after Florida redistricting upends her longtime districtInquirerLTO man in hit-and-run accident fired, loses licenseDaily MaverickMeta rejects claims it sought to hook children to Facebook, Instagram as landmark trial beginsESPN DeportesOhtani conecta jonrón 30 y Dodgers amarra serie ante RockiesESPNWNBA Power Rankings: Can the Liberty find their way into the top four?RTBF InfoAprès l’incendie des Hautes Fagnes : quelles leçons tirer face aux risques de climatoscepticisme et de procrastination ?וואלהשינויי האקלים מובילים לטמפרטורות שיא בימים סביב אירופהSeeking AlphaEvolve FANGMA Index ETF CAD Hedged declares CAD 0.0016 dividendVanguard24 killed, many injured in fresh Plateau attackPolsat NewsOdeszła bohaterka Powstania Warszawskiego. Wanda Traczyk-Stawska miała 99 latThe ConversationOne Nation wants to cut the tobacco tax. Would that curb the illicit cigarette market?SDP EspectáculosMadre de Hayden Panettiere arremete contra Brian Hickerson tras la muerte de su hija
The Daily Newsstand · Free, Always
Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Harvard to pay $53 million to settle lawsuits over theft of body parts

Translate

A state court judge in Boston on Tuesday preliminarily approved a class action settlement that would resolve lawsuits filed against the institution following the arrest in 2023 of Cedric Lodge, the former manager of Harvard Medical School's morgue.

Lodge, who had worked in Harvard’s morgue for almost three decades, was sentenced by a federal judge in December to eight years in prison for stealing and selling organs and other parts of cadavers that were donated to the school for medical research and education.

Prosecutors said that since 2018 he had been stealing parts from cadavers including heads, faces, brains, skin and hands and transporting them from Harvard's morgue in Boston to his home in Goffstown, New Hampshire, where he and his wife sold them.

Dozens of relatives of individuals whose bodies were donated to Harvard filed lawsuits accusing the school of negligence, contending it turned a blind eye to Lodge's years-long misconduct until he was indicted in 2023.

A judge initially dismissed the cases, but the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court in October revived them, saying the plaintiffs had sufficient claims that Harvard failed to act in good faith in handling the bodies, whose "horrific and undignified treatment continued for years."

George Daley, Harvard's dean of the faculty of medicine, and Bernard Chang, the dean for medical education at Harvard Medical School, said in a message to the school's community dated Monday that Lodge's conduct was "despicable, abhorrent, and a flagrant betrayal of our values as a medical community."

They said the settlement, in addition to monetary provisions, included Harvard Medical School's pledge to provide a statement to the families via live webinar "confirming that Lodge’s criminal acts were morally reprehensible."

Beginning in the 2027-2028 academic year, Harvard Medical School will also establish an annual scholarship for medical students in honor of all of its anatomical donors, the school said.

"We hope that this resolution ensures that this never happens to another family ever again," John Morgan, whose law firm Morgan & Morgan represented families in the litigation, said in a statement.

(Reporting by Nate Raymond in Boston; Editing by Edmund Klamann)

View the original on Daily Maverick

KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.