ESPN DeportesGilberto Mora guía triunfo de Tijuana sobre Cruz AzulPunchUS missionary kidnapped in Niger reunited with wife, returning home – Trumpוואלהשישה בני אדם נהרגו ונוספים נפצעו בנהירה למקדש בהודוThe Jerusalem PostMamdani fans flames of antisemitism by pairing false allyship with anti-Israel rhetoric - editorialInquirerBudget scrutiny flags ballooning LGU fundESPNMercury retire Taurasi's No. 3 on 'amazing' night한겨레문재인 “경쟁이 당 분열시켜선 안 돼…새 지도부 중심으로 단단히 힘 모아야”SözcüKasım ayını beklemeden başvuranlar ömür boyu düşük emekli maaşı alacakNew Straits TimesEV charging sparks fire, destroys Cheras houseWirtualna PolskaPoranek Wirtualnej Polski. Bartosz Arłukowicz gościem programu매일경제“10만원 이상 안경테 더 팔아라” 다비치안경 ‘갑질논란’…15억 과징금RMF24Tragiczny finał wesela w Wadowicach. 37-latek nie żyje, siedem osób zatrzymanych
The Daily Newsstand · Free, Always
Monday, August 17, 2026

ANALYST: Marcos should defer endorsement of 2028 bet

Translate
President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. on Tuesday claimed the government’s flood control measures have proven effective in areas like Las Piñas City, saying floodwaters are no longer as deep and recede much faster.
President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. —From Inquirer file

MANILA, Philippines — It will be better for President Marcos to avoid announcing his preferred candidate for the 2028 presidential elections, as doing so may lead to questions about his administration’s priorities, according to a political science professor.

In an interview with the Inquirer, University of the Philippines (UP) professor Jean Franco said it would not be “good timing” for the President to announce his endorsement amid the ongoing energy crisis, flood control scandal and impeachment trial of Vice President Sara Duterte.

“He might be [accused of] prioritizing politics over urgent issues, because the economy is not good and we have the impeachment trial. The flood control scandal is still there, [and] several people have not been arrested,” Franco said.

Article continues after this advertisement

READ: Marcos to endorse 2028 bet who’ll sustain antigraft drive

FEATURED STORIES

NEWSINFO

NEWSINFO

NEWSINFO

A little too early

During a presidential luncheon with the Foreign Correspondents Association of the Philippines on Friday, Marcos said he would be endorsing a candidate in the 2028 election. But he added he had no one in mind at the moment, adding that “it’s a little early for that.”

According to the President, his preferred candidate will be someone who will “continue what we have begun in terms of the anticorruption measures.”

So far, only Duterte has announced her intention to run for President in 2028, while Sen. Risa Hontiveros only said she was “open” to running for the position.

Because of her declaration, Duterte has placed herself at risk of “criticisms and negative press,” Franco said.

Article continues after this advertisement

“However, I think she was compelled by circumstances because of the impeachment trial. She needs to frame the trial as preventing her from being a candidate in the 2028 elections,” she noted.

“Currently, she’s still the most viable candidate in the 2028 elections, although her numbers are slowly eroding,” Franco added.

Article continues after this advertisement

The UP professor said that developments in the flood control cases and impeachment trial would “shape how people will vote in the 2028 elections,” and whoever emerges as a “promising leader out of these events will have a good chance” of winning the polls. /cb

View the original on Inquirer

KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.