The Jerusalem PostDebbie Wasserman Schultz wins primary after Florida redistricting upends her longtime districtInquirerLTO man in hit-and-run accident fired, loses licenseDaily MaverickMeta rejects claims it sought to hook children to Facebook, Instagram as landmark trial beginsESPN DeportesOhtani conecta jonrón 30 y Dodgers amarra serie ante RockiesESPNWNBA Power Rankings: Can the Liberty find their way into the top four?RTBF InfoAprès l’incendie des Hautes Fagnes : quelles leçons tirer face aux risques de climatoscepticisme et de procrastination ?וואלהשינויי האקלים מובילים לטמפרטורות שיא בימים סביב אירופהSeeking AlphaEvolve FANGMA Index ETF CAD Hedged declares CAD 0.0016 dividendVanguard24 killed, many injured in fresh Plateau attackPolsat NewsOdeszła bohaterka Powstania Warszawskiego. Wanda Traczyk-Stawska miała 99 latThe ConversationOne Nation wants to cut the tobacco tax. Would that curb the illicit cigarette market?SDP EspectáculosMadre de Hayden Panettiere arremete contra Brian Hickerson tras la muerte de su hija
The Daily Newsstand · Free, Always
Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Philippines’ Marcos slammed over US$3b family estate tax, says ‘very busy’ with government

Translate

Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jnr has put his anti-corruption drive at the centre of his presidency, but questions over his late father’s estate taxes and the family’s past ill-gotten wealth have prompted critics to question his commitment.

Last month, Marcos pledged in his address to Congress to continue fighting alleged irregularities in flood-control projects, stressing that the campaign would be a test of whether his administration could hold even powerful allies to account.

The Presidential Commission on Good Government (PCGG) told This Week in Asia on Tuesday that it had recovered 309.84 billion pesos (US$5.05 billion) as of June 30, describing it as ill-gotten wealth linked to the Marcos family.

The PCGG was created in 1986 as a special agency under the Office of the President and tasked by different administrations over the decades with recovering assets that it said were stolen by the late president Ferdinand Marcos Snr, his wife Imelda Marcos and their associates.

Asked by This Week in Asia on Friday whether he had paid more than 203 billion pesos (US$3.28 billion) in estate taxes on the estate his father left after the latter died in 1989, Marcos pushed back against any suggestion that the family assets should be treated as ill-gotten.

Speaking at a forum with the Foreign Correspondents Association of the Philippines (FOCAP), Marcos said: “To characterise them as ill-gotten wealth immediately, I have to respond and say, the reason why we won [those civil forfeiture cases] we were able to prove that these were not ill-gotten.”

View the original on South China Morning Post

KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.