ESPNTakeaways from NFL preseason Week 2: QB questions linger for Browns, Cowboys, VikingsRTP DesportoRobôs dos Jogos de Pequim estão mais rápidos e fortes, mas avanços trazem novas dificuldadesESPN DeportesGanó Norris una emocionante carrera en ZandvoortPunchC’River gov pledges support for SPAR fire victimsוואלהגבר נפצע קשה באירוע ירי בתחנת דלק סמוך לקיסריהThe Jerusalem PostUK's proposed ban on Israeli settlement trade would breach int'l legal obligations, lawyers warnNOS SportDerde ritzege en eindzege Philipsen in Renewi Tour, Kooij derde en Teunissen vierdeIl Sole 24 OreCodice della strada, il ministero: nessuna limitazione per gli over 85Straits Times SportLate Gvardiol strike earns Maresca winning start and Brighton hammer Villaالشرقعبر مواجهات الميدان والجهود الدبلوماسية.. اليمن يتحرك لإنهاء نفوذ الحوثيينLa PresseMontérégie | Un ado en scooter est heurté durant la nuit et abandonnéRMF24Wchodzą w życie nowe przepisy dla par jednopłciowych. Burmistrz Zakopanego mówi „nie”
The Daily Newsstand · Free, Always
Sunday, August 23, 2026

Dozens of attacks in Thailand's restive south leave 2 injured

Translate

A local government office building, a 7-Eleven convenience store and a stolen vehicle were burned in the 51 attacks, according to the military's Internal Security Operations Command (ISOC) and local media reports.

Dozens of attacks in Thailand's restive south leave 2 injured

An injured villager who was mistakenly targeted by Thai authorities in Cha-nea district recuperates at a hospital in the southern Thai province of Narathiwat on Aug 23, 2026, following dozens of coordinated arson and incendiary attacks across Thailand's insurgency-hit south. (Photo: AFP/Madaree Tohlala)

23 Aug 2026 04:19PM

BANGKOK: Dozens of coordinated arson and incendiary attacks across Thailand's insurgency-hit south late Saturday (Aug 22) left two people injured and damaged government property, the military said.

A local government office building, a 7-Eleven convenience store and a stolen vehicle were burned in the 51 attacks, according to the military's Internal Security Operations Command (ISOC) and local media reports.

"Multiple coordinated incidents aimed at creating unrest occurred in various locations across the southern border provinces" from around 8pm to midnight on Saturday, ISOC said in a statement.

Most were in Narathiwat province, where two civilians were reported injured and an overnight curfew was imposed, while other attacks occurred in neighbouring Yala and Pattani provinces, ISOC said.

Since 2004, a low-level conflict has simmered in the southernmost provinces of Buddhist-majority Thailand, killing more than 7,000 people, as rebels in the Muslim-majority region battle for greater autonomy.

No group has claimed responsibility for Saturday's attacks.

Thai soldiers man a checkpoint in Cho Airong district after an attack on a telecommunications tower in the southern Thai province of Narathiwat on Aug 23, 2026, following dozens of coordinated arson and incendiary attacks across Thailand's insurgency-hit south. (Photo: AFP/Madaree Tohlala)

Narathiwat Governor Boonchuay Homyamyen told local media that authorities were investigating the sites of the attacks on Sunday, including the local government office and telecommunications towers and electrical poles.

There were no further attacks reported on Sunday morning, Boonchuay said, adding he did not have details on the injured.

The Narathiwat military command earlier announced a curfew from Saturday night until 6am Sunday.

A vehicle was stolen from the office of a subdistrict administrative organisation in Narathiwat during one of the attacks that left the building in flames, ISOC said. 

The burned-out pickup truck was later found left on a road.

Insurgents in the deep south regularly carry out attacks on security officials and government property, including ahead of visits by officials to the region.

Last month, assailants killed five soldiers in a shooting and bomb attack at a checkpoint in Narathiwat.

Thai Prime Minister Anutin Charnvirakul and members of his cabinet are scheduled to make a two-day visit to the city of Hat Yai in southern Songkhla province next week to discuss investment projects, flooding prevention and security issues, his office said Saturday.

View the original on Channel News Asia

KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.