ESPN DeportesAtlante toma la pelota con personalidad y exige a unos Tigres que solo dan chispazosPunch2027: Obi challenges Tinubu, others to defend recordsThe Jerusalem PostHarrisburg Jewish federation collapse leaves community rebuilding from the ground upCNN TürkSİBER GÜVENLİK BAŞKANLIĞI PERSONEL ALIMI NE ZAMAN? Siber Güvenlik Başkanlığı 275 sözleşmeli personel alımı şartları neler?ESPNFreeman: 'Too late' for Notre Dame to add playersInquirerHontiveros pushes tighter gun controls after Zamboanga shootingUOLLula: Sou candidato a presidente de novo porque não terminamos a nossa missãoInfobaeTigres vs Atlante EN VIVO: Comienza el partido del A2026 de la Liga Mx en el Estadio UniversitarioEl ComercioEl nuevo Congreso bicameral alcanzó un nuevo récord de mujeres, pero el Senado aún está lejos de la paridadScreen RantPrime Video's New $113 Million Fantasy Epic Continues An Exciting Trend After 1.1 Billion Minutes Watched20 Minuten19-Jähriger stürzt beim Klettern 40 Meter in den Tod매일경제“혹이 13개나 있다고 하더라”…암투병 수술 고백한 박소담
The Daily Newsstand · Free, Always
Saturday, August 22, 2026

Paramount and State A.G. to Meet Monday to Discuss Settlement of Antitrust Case

Translate

Paramount Skydance representatives are expected to meet on Monday with the California Attorney General’s office to discuss a potential settlement of the states’ antitrust case, according to two sources familiar with the situation.

Paramount has been pushing hard for a deal to allow its $111 billion merger with Warner Bros. Discovery to close. The deal is currently on hold pending a March trial in federal court in Oakland.

Attorney General Rob Bonta has said he is open to settlement negotiations, but has also said that Paramount has thus far been unwilling to offer the kind of structural remedies that would be needed to satisfy the states’ concerns.

A Paramount spokesperson declined to comment.

Bonta led a 12-state coalition to challenge the merger in July, arguing that it would illegally contract the marketplace for theatrical distribution and basic cable. The merger would consolidate two of Hollywood’s five legacy studios and two of the top three cable programmers.

Under federal rules, the two sides will have to at least try to settle the case in front of a magistrate judge at some point. At a hearing this week, Judge Araceli Martinez-Olguin asked the parties to identify two potential magistrates who could oversee mediation by next Wednesday.

A parade of interested parties has recently come out in favor of a settlement, including the Directors Guild of America, IATSE, Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass and Cinema United, the trade group representing theater chains.

“Earlier this week, you heard the attorney general himself say he’d prefer this settle in the boardroom, not the courtroom,” Gov. Gavin Newsom said Friday. “I think there’s some universal sentiment there, if that’s possible. The question is is that possible. And what’s the best deal? That has to be worked through. That’s a process that’s unfolding, I assure you, in real time.”

Paramount has pledged various commitments to try to get a deal done, including a promise to make 30 films a year for the next three years, and to keep them exclusively in theaters for at least 45 days. Bonta’s office, however, has argued that such behavioral remedies have proven impossible to enforce in the past.

The Writers Guild of America has filed its own lawsuit, which is set to be tried along with the states’ case next March. The WGA is also a party to the stipulation that puts the merger on hold until the trial, and would have be involved the parties are aiming to reach a global resolution. A WGA spokesperson did not respond to a request for comment.

View the original on Variety

KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.