Sydney childcare centre on brink of closure offered 12-months rent free
A not-for-profit early learning centre on the brink of closure has been handed a lifeline, with more than 60 families rallying in Sydney's eastern suburbs to keep the doors open.
The threatened closure of Goodstart East Sydney in Darlinghurst triggered a petition this week after the centre informed families that the site was shuttering from November 26.
Goodstart had been leasing the site from the City of Sydney but said the design and location of the building meant the centre was making a significant loss, despite high occupancy.
Parents rally to show their support for the centre. (ABC News: Alexander Lewis)
In response Lord Mayor Clover Moore offered the early learning centre 12 months free rent while its future is resolved.
"I hope this gives comfort and certainty to parents that we are committed to ensuring stability and the learning community they have built in Darlo [Darlinghurst]," Cr Moore wrote in a Facebook post.
It is unclear if the provider, which leases three other sites from the City of Sydney, has accepted the rent waiver.
The ABC has reached out for comment.
'There aren't many options in the area'
On Saturday, Tim Martin was among dozens of families at Potts Point who rallied in support of the centre.
"Losing the centre would be so devastating," the father-of-two said.
"What we really feel for is the staff of the centre too, they probably won't have jobs."
Mr Martin says losing the centre would be "devastating". (ABC News)
Mr Martin said he and his wife had already canvassed close to six centres nearby.
"They're all full, some have a day here or there, but it's just not doable."
Three centres in the local area have recently closed. Another not-for-profit in Paddington could also be lost as the site is earmarked to be sold.
Fiona Thatcher said her 11-month-old daughter Mave had been on the centre's waiting list since she was 12-weeks-old.
"I don't think many of us have much of a plan B because there aren't many options in the area at all,"
she said.
"It would certainly involve enrolling in multiple centres, driving quite a distance … it would also mean losing the educators, which was the primary motivators for getting together like this."
Ms Thatcher says there are not many childcare options in the area. (ABC News: Alexander Lewis)
Ms Thatcher said she did not think the area could accommodate the 60 families enrolled at the childcare centre and the more than 100 on its waiting list.
Labor Councillor Zann Maxwell said the demand was there, but the provider had given "mixed messages" about the site's closure.
"The last thing we want to see is the loss of a childcare centre in the inner-city," he said.
"We want to be making sure that this is the kind of place where all sorts of people can live, including young families, and we're not serious about it if we let places like this close."
KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.