Daily MaverickAgribusiness exploits humans and animals alike – legal protections should be species-blindThe Jerusalem PostLuigi Mangione's New York murder trial postponed amid double jeopardy challengeESPNOhio State, Oregon start 1-2 in AP preseason pollוואלהחשש למחדל נוסף באסותא: תורם הזרע של הילדים אינו תואם גנטיתESPN Deportes¿Quién es Joshua Báez? El dominicano del histórico debut de 3 jonronesABC NewsSupporters rally for justice for California dog amid animal cruelty investigationSCMP ChinaClaims Hegseth ‘on verge of losing job’ raise questions about future US-China defence tiesNTVSon dakika deprem mi oldu? Az önce deprem nerede oldu? İstanbul, Ankara, İzmir ve il il AFAD son depremler 18 Ağustos 2026SDP Espectáculos¿A qué hora termina Sam Smith en Auditorio Nacional? Horario del 17, 18, 20 y 21 de agostoABC News (Australia)Stress-free Book Week costumes with a musical twistThe StandardSecurity failure? Interior chiefs on the spot over Homa Bay chaosBillboardJoe Budden Wants Drake to Go Directly at Jay-Z: ‘Bait Him, Let’s Have Some Fun’
The Daily Newsstand · Free, Always
Monday, August 17, 2026

UK PM Exchanged Messages With Someone Posing As Trump Ally: Report

Translate

UK Prime Minister Andy Burnham exchanged messages with an impostor posing as White House Chief of Staff Susie Wiles, a report said on Monday.

According to the Politico report quoting four officials, Burnham grew suspicious of the contact being illegitimate only after communicating with the person in question.

The identity of the person posing as Wiles has not been revealed yet.

The British Prime Minister's Office at Downing Street denied to comment on the breach, calling it a "national security matter". But it also did not deny that the messages were exchanged between Burnham and the person.

One person quoted by Politico, who was briefed on the matter, said the communication was never via phone calls and only a "few messages" were exchanged after Burnham took over as the Prime Minister of UK.

Downing Street did not reveal when the messages were exchanged, how many there were, or whether the two parties texted each other over WhatsApp or any other channel.

The official insisted that the messages in question were "of no significance." It was unclear what exact messages were exchanged.

Financial Times separately reported that concerns about the suspicious activity were "quickly reported to the appropriate authorities" after a few messages between the two parties.

Burnham has not met US President Donald Trump yet, but the two leaders have had a phone call shortly after the Labour leader took over as Prime Minister.

According to two of the officials quoted by Politico, the British Embassy in Washington raised the matter with the White House out of extreme concern. The UK government feared that Wiles' phone was hacked again, like it happened last year.

"This incident had nothing to do with the Chief of Staff's devices being hacked," a White House official was quoted as saying by Politico.

Last year, the White House and the FBI launched a probe after senators, governors and US business leaders said they had received text messages and phone calls from someone claiming to be Trump's chief of staff.

Later, several media outlets reported that Susie Wiles had told her associates that her cellphone had been hacked. Wiles, a top Trump ally, was also among the people targeted a cyber espionage unit associated with Iran's Revolutionary Guards.

View the original on NDTV

KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.