RTP DesportoBenfica contrata central australiano Alessandro Circati ao ParmaESPN DeportesMMA libra por libra: Makhachev es todavía el número 1 unánimeESPNSources: Texans' Higgins tears ACL, out for seasonDaily MaverickAcademics have a duty to warn society about disasters before they happenThe Jerusalem Post‘Battery is not protest’: US judge rejects defense in Israeli flag assault caseוואלהיותר מ-100 בני אדם נהרגו במפולת באתר כריית זהב ברפובליקה המרכז-אפריקאיתRolling StoneBowers & Wilkins’ High-End Headphones Are Currently on Sale for Less Than Bose and Sony ModelsConsequenceWeezer Don’t Have to Fake It on The Gold Album: ReviewDeadlineJosé Suárez Dies: Telemundo Executive Was 55BBC NewsCricket: Today at the TestThe South AfricanJapanese woman wows South Africans with natural Limpopo dance moves – WATCHBillboardNick Jonas Recalls How He ‘Bombed the Audition’ for This ‘Frozen’ Character: ‘It Was Terrible’
The Daily Newsstand · Free, Always
Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Missing pilot found dead after massive search in Ontario

Translate

Posted August 19, 2026 1:52 pm

1 min read

The aircraft David Douglas reportedly flew on Aug. 14 before he did not arrive as originally scheduled. Durham Regional Police

An Ontario pilot has been found dead after his plane did not land as scheduled last week, Ontario Provincial Police confirmed Wednesday.

Police recovered his aircraft debris from Wolf Lake in Queen Elizabeth II Provincial Park earlier this week. On Wednesday, the OPP said searchers had located the aircraft submerged in the lake on Tuesday and confirmed the pilot was dead.

An extraction plan is being coordinated by investigators.

David Douglas, 73, went missing on Friday after Durham Regional Police said his plane had left Oshawa Executive Airport at about 8:30 a.m. He was expected back an hour later but did not arrive, prompting a search.

Get daily Canada news delivered to your inbox so you'll never miss the day's top stories.

Get daily National news

Get daily Canada news delivered to your inbox so you'll never miss the day's top stories.

The massive rescue operation began this weekend, with members of Durham police, OPP and Trenton Joint Rescue Coordination Centre participating.

“Although not the outcome we wanted, we hope the efforts of all #SAR units will aid in the continued search,” JRCC said Monday in a post on X.

Story continues below advertisement

Prior to the confirmation of Douglas’ death, Richard Wiltshire, a cousin of the pilot’s, told Global News that the 73-year-old was a longtime pilot and leisure flyer.

“This trip is, my understanding, this trip is quite normal for him to go on a flight,” Wiltshire said.

The circumstances surrounding the crash are now under investigation by the Transportation Safety Board of Canada, with OPP continuing to assist as required.

The TSB said in a statement it was deploying a team of investigators near Minden Hills, Ont. to gather information and assess the incident.

“The OPP extends its sincere condolences to the pilot’s family and loved ones and thanks members of the public who provided information, support and assistance throughout the search effort,” OPP said.

View the original on Global News

KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.