וואלהדיווחים ערביים: תשעה הרוגים מתקיפות צה"ל בעיר עזהThe Jerusalem PostImran Khan transferred from prison to hospital as court raises serious health concernsPunchGombe gov approves N148.76m monthly funding for state varsityESPN Deportes¿Qué le falta fichar al Barcelona tras invertir 160 millones?RTP DesportoTécnico Humberto Bettencourt é o novo selecionador de futebol de Cabo VerdeBollywood HungamaAmazon MGM Studios and Colour Yellow announce Nayyi Navelli starring Yami Gautam DharESPN'The team being hunted': Why things feel -- and look -- different for the Patriots in 2026Deadline‘Wildwood’ Trailer: Laika Returns To Its Nature With Latest Stop-Motion Fantasy AdventureIl Fatto QuotidianoMorto a 101 anni il detenuto più anziano in Usa. La storia di Francis Clifford Smith: la condanna dubbia, le 8 volte in cui è sfuggito alla pena capitaleCBS NewsFlorida democratic socialist Angie Nixon says "it's not about labels"NMETupac entourage member dodges questions about accused in murder trial: “I don’t want to send you to prison”SportstarIndia vs Pakistan LIVE score, Hockey World Cup 2026: IND 4-2 PAK; Abhishek, Harmanpreet score braces; Sufyan scores Pakistan's second
The Daily Newsstand · Free, Always
Wednesday, August 19, 2026

EPL: Man United close in on £60m-plus deal for Brighton’s Baleba

Translate
EPL: Man United close in on £60m-plus deal for Brighton’s Baleba

Brighton midfielder, Carlos Baleba Photo: GETTY IMAGES

Manchester United are closing in on a deal to sign Brighton midfielder Carlos Baleba as they continue to strengthen their midfield ahead of the new season.

United attempted to sign the Cameroon international last summer but were put off by Brighton’s valuation, which was in excess of £100 million.

However, Baleba’s price has reduced significantly and, after failing in their pursuit of Matheus Fernandes earlier this summer, United have decided to revisit the midfielder.

As reported by BBC Sport on Wednesday, the Red Devils have submitted an initial £60 million offer, which remains below Brighton’s valuation, but negotiations are continuing.

United have already strengthened their midfield this summer with the arrivals of Andrey Santos from Chelsea for £48 million and Youri Tielemans, who joined from Aston Villa for £35 million in July.

Mason Mount impressed alongside Santos during United’s first three pre-season games but has since been struggling with a foot problem suffered against Paris Saint-Germain in Gothenburg on 8 August.

Baleba, meanwhile, is expected to be sidelined for another two to three weeks after suffering an ankle injury during a pre-season training camp in Austria.

Brighton manager Fabian Hurzeler’s squad are due to fly to Norway on Wednesday ahead of Thursday’s UEFA Conference League play-off first-leg match against Tromso.

Baleba made 35 appearances for Brighton last season, receiving seven yellow cards while operating primarily as a defensive midfielder.

The move makes sense for United, who tried to sign Baleba 12 months ago and are therefore fully aware of his qualities.

The Cameroon international is the type of box-to-box midfielder United lack despite the arrivals of Santos and Tielemans.

Baleba also wants to make the move, while the eventual fee is expected to be significantly lower than the £100 million Brighton demanded previously.

However, the reduction in his valuation is partly due to the underwhelming form he showed last season.

Baleba made 31 Premier League starts and three substitute appearances in 2024-25, compared with 23 starts and eight substitute appearances in 2025-26. The figures highlight a decline in his form and importance to Hurzeler during a campaign in which Brighton secured European football for only the second time in their history.

There was speculation that Baleba’s head had been turned by United’s interest, but Brighton sources last season said they did not believe that was the case.

With the transfer deadline approaching, United have now made their move.

Manager Michael Carrick will hope the club can secure the 2024-25 version of Baleba as they look to add further strength and energy to their midfield.

View the original on Punch

KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.