The Jerusalem PostPentagon spokesperson says claims of US munitions shortage amid Iran war 'false' - reportESPN DeportesJudge batea en la T por primera vez desde su lesiónESPNToo grand: DeGrom 2nd fastest to 2K strikeoutsPunchMy salary is ₦503,000, permanent secretaries earn ₦900,000 — Delta govוואלההתחזית: הכבדה בעומסי החום, עד 40 מעלות באילתInquirer155 firms ordered to explain failure to recover, recycle plastics한겨레일 ‘오사카 파친코점 방화 살인범’ 사형 집행Inquirer EntertainmentVice Ganda eyes Michael V, Marian Rivera, Alden Richards as ‘GGV’ guestsSözcüArjantin'de 30 bin şirket kapandı, Milei feministleri suçladıUOLTrem expresso atropela e mata quatro trabalhadores em estação no JapãoIl Fatto QuotidianoLa maggior parte delle proposte fiscali di Vannacci è impossibile da realizzare3DNewsGoogle представила функцию, которая поможет вернуть сайтам потерянный из-за ИИ трафик
The Daily Newsstand · Free, Always
Friday, August 21, 2026

News24 | Rassie’s surprise game picks; Former Knysna mayor shot dead: Today’s top 7 stories

Translate

News24 brings you the top 7 stories of the day.

News24 brings you the top 7 stories of the day.

Graphic: Sharlene Rood

News24 brings you the top stories of the day, summarised into neat little packages. Read through quickly or listen to the articles via our customised text-to-speech feature.

Former Knysna mayor and ANC councillor Aubrey Tsengwa was shot dead on Wednesday night.

Archive/Rapport/Edrea du Toit

Former Knysna mayor shot dead

- Former Knysna mayor and ANC councillor Aubrey Tsengwa has been shot dead in a hail of bullets, with three passengers in his vehicle also caught in the attack and one wounded.

- Tsengwa’s tenure as mayor was marked by political instability, and he was removed in a motion of no confidence earlier this year before being re-elected as a councillor just months later.

- His killing comes amid a rising wave of political assassinations across South Africa, with several local politicians killed in recent months ahead of the 2026 local government elections.

READ MORE

Thandazani Madonsela has been recommended as the Section 89 impeachment committee evidence leader.

Thandazani Madonsela/LinkedIn

Madonsela rebuts president’s objections to his impeachment evidence leader appointment

- Advocate Thandazani Madonsela, SC, has rejected President Cyril Ramaphosa’s bid to block his appointment as the impeachment committee’s chief evidence leader, arguing that the role is not adjudicative and the evidence leader “decides nothing”.

- Ramaphosa raised two objections – that Madonsela may hold a grievance after being removed from the Judicial Service Commission in 2022, and that he previously gave the ANC legal advice on impeachment matters – but Madonsela said all relevant facts were already disclosed before the committee voted to recommend him.

- The committee agreed to seek a legal opinion on Ramaphosa’s objections before proceeding, with opposition parties accusing the president of delaying tactics and the ANC denying any such intent.

READ MORE

A Sowetan journalist has opened a case of intimidation against Stuart-James Scharnick (pictured), an associate of suspended deputy national police commissioner Shadrack Sibiya, following an alleged confrontation at the Madlanga Commission.

Ntwaagae Seleka/News24

Sowetan reporter opens case of intimidation after incident at Madlanga Commission

- A Sowetan journalist has opened a case of intimidation after allegedly being threatened by Stuart-James Scharnick, an associate of suspended deputy police commissioner Shadrack Sibiya, while covering proceedings at the Madlanga Commission.

- The altercation reportedly escalated when Scharnick crossed into a restricted area at the inquiry venue and confronted the journalist over allegations of filming him and posting the footage on TikTok.

- Security intervened and escorted Scharnick out, with videos circulating on social media showing him being led to a police vehicle, though police have not yet confirmed an arrest.

READ MORE

The defence on Thursday argued that one of the accused in the Emmanuel Mbense murder case, Cobus Janse van Rensburg, had already left the scene before Mbense was allegedly robbed, killed, and his body dumped.

OJ Koloti/Gallo Images

Defence challenges State’s evidence linking Julius Mkhwanazi’s co-accused to Mbense murder

- The defence for one of the six accused, Cobus Janse van Rensburg, argued in court that he had already left the scene before Mbense was killed and his body dumped in a dam, insisting there is no case against him.

- The IPID investigator rejected the defence’s claims, telling the court the accused acted with common purpose and that there was a strong case against him – even if the group had not initially set out to kill Mbense.

- The defence also challenged the reliability of a key State witness’s affidavit, suggesting it may have been made to shield him from prosecution, while the case was postponed to 27 August.

 READ MORE

About 71% of the renewable energy approved by Nersa in the first quarter of its financial year was wind energy.

Piyaset/Getty Images

SA adds 124 new renewable energy sites worth R20bn in 3 months

- Nersa registered 124 new generation facilities in the first quarter of its financial year – almost all solar – with a combined capacity of 804MW and an estimated investment value of R20.18 billion.

- Despite the dominance of solar in sheer numbers, just two wind farms accounted for the majority of the total capacity, while the Northern Cape led in investment and installed megawatts.

- The latest registrations add to a fast-growing renewable energy pipeline that far exceeds the targets set in the government’s official electricity plan, though grid capacity constraints in the Cape provinces remain a persistent obstacle.
READ MORE

Springbok inside centre Damian de Allende will play his 100th Test for his country in the Greatest Rivalry opener against the All Blacks on Saturday.

Warren Little/Getty Images

FIRST TAKE | Rassie picks broadsword and rapier Bok team for Ellis Park Test

- Springbok coach Rassie Erasmus sprang several surprises in his matchday squad, most notably leaving captain Siya Kolisi out and handing in-form openside flanker Paul de Villiers his first start against the All Blacks.

- The team selection points to a bold, up-tempo approach rather than the predictable set-piece-heavy game many expected, with Sacha Feinberg-Mngomezulu backed at flyhalf and Manie Libbok chosen on the bench to open things up in the second half.

- Damian de Allende is set to earn his 100th Test cap, while Ox Nche returns from injury in a front row picked to target the All Black scrum in what looms as a clash of contrasting styles at Ellis Park.
READ MORE

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are reportedly moving back to the UK.

Kristina Bumphrey/Variety via Getty Images

Prince Harry and Meghan moving back to UK: British press

- Prince Harry and Meghan are reportedly moving back to the UK within weeks, with their two children already enrolled in a British school – though the couple will not return as working royals.

- The move comes six years after their acrimonious departure to California, and follows a private meeting with King Charles in July, though it remains unclear whether Prince William has been informed.

- The surprise announcement coincides with the release of a new book by Harry’s uncle, Charles Spencer, about Princess Diana – a figure Harry has long said the media is responsible for killing.

READ MORE

*These summaries were written with the support of Toqan AI.

Discover the Truth

Step into a world where the truth shines bright, and every headline is worth your time. With News24, you're not just reading the news; you are part of a community that values knowledge and insight. Immerse yourself in compelling stories, sharp analyses, and content that keeps you ahead of the curve.

View the original on News24

KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.