Daily MaverickHUNGRY HOMES: At the heart of the home, gogo Toti goes without so grandchildren can eatESPNYankees shift course, to activate Rodon vs. O'sThe Jerusalem PostEconomy Minister Barkat hires private investigators to ensure there is no fraud at Likud primariesוואלהחשש למחדל נוסף באסותא: תורם הזרע של הילדים אינו תואם גנטיתESPN Deportes¿Quién es Joshua Báez? El dominicano del histórico debut de 3 jonronesGlobal NewsBurnaby RCMP steps up e-scooter enforcement to curb accidents, injuriesComplete SportsSuper Eagles, Super Falcons, Others’ Revival: Bazuaye Offers Blueprint, Demands Roles for 1985 Eagletsسكاي نيوز عربيةالإمارات تدين الهجوم الإيراني العدواني على كردستان العراقHabertürkBayram Ali Ersoy kimdir?BBC NewsTributes to actress Hayden Panettiere as coroner finds 'no signs of trauma'CBS NewsExtended interview: Becky G on her music, her rise to fame and moreRolling StoneThe New ‘Gilmore Girls’ Little People Collectible Set Is Bringing Stars Hollow to Your Shelf
The Daily Newsstand · Free, Always
Monday, August 17, 2026

Trump threatens to bomb Oman if it gets in way of Iran deal

Translate

US Pesident Donald Trump on Monday threatened to bomb Oman if it “gets in the way” of an American deal with Iran on the Strait of Hormuz, and called for Iran to surrender.

“If Oman gets in the way, we’ll bomb the s*** out of them,” Trump told Fox News journalist Trey Yingst, referring to ongoing talks between Oman and Iran on control of the strait, while Washington is also pursuing its own talks.

Iranian and Omani officials have been talking for weeks on future maritime navigation arrangements through the shipping route, and the foreign ministry in Tehran said earlier on Monday that the two sides were working on a joint declaration.

However, Trump has repeatedly insisted that the strait – which Tehran effectively closed at the start of the Middle East war on February 28 – is under US control despite traffic remaining throttled.

On Friday, Trump claimed that he would even declare the Strait of Hormuz part of US territory, while Iran retorted that the crucial energy waterway it has blockaded “will remain Iranian”.

04:36

Why the vital Red Sea shipping lane may be the new frontline in the US-Iran war

Before the launch of the US-Israeli war against Iran, the Hormuz strait was considered an open, international waterway. It carries significant portions of global energy shipments, as well as other commodities.

View the original on South China Morning Post

KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.