The Jerusalem PostRapper ‘The Shadow’ removed as police volunteer amid investigationPunchNDLEA arrests businessman with N23m cocaine at Lagos airportESPN DeportesSantos y Chivas quieren despertar en Liga MXCNN Türk17 AĞUSTOS AKARYAKIT FİYATLARI: Benzin, motorin, LPG, akaryakıt fiyatları ne kadar? İstanbul, Ankara, İzmir akaryakıt fiyatlarında son durum...ESPNPitcher, surgery pioneer Tommy John dies at 83וואלהטראמפ הורה לצמצם את התמרון הצבאי עם דרום קוריאה - בהתבסס על יחסיו הטובים עם קוריאה הצפונית한겨레2층까지 솟은 흙탕물, 차량 둥둥…거제 주민들 “이런 비 처음 봐”UOLEmpresário e advogado são as profissões mais comuns entre os candidatosNew Straits TimesSouth Korea landslide kills one as heavy rains sweep southern areasHong Kong Free PressHow an escalating crackdown on Hong Kong’s independent bookstores put Taiwan publishers in the spotlightSBS 뉴스이 대통령 지지도 43.0%로 취임 후 최저…5주 연속 하락 [리얼미터]NTV17 Ağustos depreminin 27. yılı: Saat 03.02’de hayat durdu
The Daily Newsstand · Free, Always
Monday, August 17, 2026

Meralco boosts drive vs electricity theft, system losses

Translate

Aside from catching violators, Meralco said it is “implementing preventive measures and system design improvements to make illegal electricity use more difficult.”

STAR / File

MANILA, Philippines — The Manila Electric Co. (Meralco) is expanding the capacity of substations and power lines and apprehending energy pilferers to further reduce system loss charges.

Aside from catching violators, Meralco said it is “implementing preventive measures and system design improvements to make illegal electricity use more difficult.”

For technical system loss, Meralco continues to invest in enhanced capacity to “improve the efficiency of the power distribution network,”

Meralco vice president for head utility economics Larry Fernandez said.

Smart grids and advanced metering infrastructure are being considered by Meralco to further reduce system loss and improve service quality.

Passing to consumers part of system loss follows Republic Act 7832 and the Electric Power Industry Reform Act, Fernandez maintained.

Lower power bills

Power rates in the Visayas are expected to decrease after the Energy Regulatory Commission (ERC) suspended the collection of excessive line loss and congestion cost charges, Rep. Marcelino Libanan said yesterday.

“We expect refunds to consumers who saw their electricity bills surge by anywhere from P2 to P5.99 per kilowatt-hour because of the erroneous pass-on of excessive charges,” he said.

Based on Eastern Samar Electric Cooperative Inc.’s estimates, excessive charges passed to consumers in Eastern Visayas have accumulated to about P1.55 billion since January.

On Aug. 13, the ERC ordered corrective measures after finding the Wholesale Electricity Spot Market had been incorrectly calculating the congestion component of electricity prices in certain situations.

View the original on The Philippine Star

KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.