PunchC’River gov pledges support for SPAR fire victimsESPN DeportesErling Haaland estrenó un nuevo lookוואלהגבר נפצע קשה באירוע ירי בתחנת דלק סמוך לקיסריהThe Jerusalem PostUK's proposed ban on Israeli settlement trade would breach int'l legal obligations, lawyers warnRTP DesportoGolfista Tomás Gouveia termina em 53.º no Challenger da FinlândiaESPNTakeaways from NFL preseason Week 2: QB questions linger for Browns, Cowboys, VikingsSky TG24Carburanti, tassa su extraprofitti energia. Schlein: “Procedere prima a livello nazionale”The GuardianManchester City 2-1 Bournemouth: Premier League – liveBBC NewsWatch: European Gymnastics Championships - men's team finalsNOS SportNorris wint laatste Formule 1-race in Zandvoort na snelle crash VerstappenIl Fatto QuotidianoF1, Gp Olanda: trionfa Norris con la McLaren, battuto Antonelli. Ferrari giù dal podio | Risultati e nuova classificaGuardian SportNewcastle United v Liverpool: Premier League – live
The Daily Newsstand · Free, Always
Sunday, August 23, 2026

Arsenal sent Julian Alvarez update after new twists in transfer saga

Translate

Arsenal Football Newsletter

The Argentine striker looks set to make his first appearance of the season at the Metropolitano Stadium on Sunday amid ongoing transfer links to Arsenal and Barcelona, having been left out of the 2-0 win over Malaga on Wednesday as he builds up his fitness following a post-World Cup break.

“Julian Alvarez will be in the squad tomorrow,” Simeone said at his pre-Villarreal press conference on Saturday.

“For me, Julian is an extremely important player for us to achieve our objectives. As long as he’s with the team, I’m going to look after him.”

Simeone also criticised the insulting chants aimed at Alvarez by a small section of the Atletico fanbase against Malaga, reiterating that the former Manchester City forward will definitely stay at the club after the latest defiant quotes from CEO Miguel Angel Gil Marin.

Atletico supporters are angry at Alvarez having publicly declared his desire to complete a “dream” move to LaLiga rivals Barcelona, with a banner criticising his conduct having circulated on social media ahead of the Malaga game.

Barcelona saw a €100million (£85.6m) offer for Alvarez rejected by Atletico earlier this summer, while a shock €150m (£130m) bid from Real Madrid was also rebuffed in very public fashion.

Key transfer target: Arsenal want to sign Atletico Madrid striker Julian Alvarez this summer

Getty

“I respect our fans, I always have, but I don’t agree with insults or abuse,” Simeone said. “Every word is being scrutinised by people waiting to create conflict and uncertainty.

“There is no uncertainty. Miguel was very clear. He [Alvarez] is our player and we need him.”

Speaking to Spanish news agency EFE on Friday, Gil Marin suggested that Alvarez had been badly advised during his transfer saga.

“Atletico Madrid, like every big club, is built on great players, and Julian is one of them, as well as being a great professional," he said, per ESPN.

“We have to compete with our values, with homegrown players and the best players we can bring in from outside.

“We are going to help Julian and continue to look after him, so he can reach his full potential... we must understand that Julian hasn't had the best advisors around him in recent months.”

Alvarez’s agent, Fernando Hildago, later uploaded a cryptic post to Instagram which did not reference Alvarez or Atletico, reading only: “Never ask a liar why they lied. To explain it, they would have to lie again.”

View the original on Evening Standard

KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.