Police confirm Malaysian among 258 foreigners held in Pakistan scam raid now freed, home

A Malaysian man detained by Pakistani authorities during a raid on a fraudulent call centre in Islamabad recently has been released and has safely returned home. — Picture by Raymond Manuel
First Published: Saturday, 22 Aug 2026 6:28 PM MYT
KUALA LUMPUR, Aug 22 — A Malaysian man detained by Pakistani authorities during a raid on a fraudulent call centre in Islamabad recently has been released and has safely returned home.
Bukit Aman Commercial Crime Investigation Department (CCID) director Datuk Rusdi Mohd Isa said investigations found that the 32-year-old man had no connection with the scam syndicate being investigated by the Pakistani authorities.
He also confirmed that the man was the only Malaysian arrested in the special operation.
“He has been released and has returned to Malaysia,” he said briefly when contacted by Bernama today
Rusdi said the CCID would record the man’s statement to assist further investigations into the incident.
Previously, Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Mohd Khalid Ismail said a special team had been dispatched to Pakistan to investigate reports regarding the detention of Malaysians suspected of involvement in an online scam syndicate.
The Malaysian was among 258 foreign nationals detained by Pakistani authorities during the raid on the scam call centre. — Bernama
KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.