The Jerusalem PostDebbie Wasserman Schultz wins primary after Florida redistricting upends her longtime districtInquirerLTO man in hit-and-run accident fired, loses licenseDaily MaverickMeta rejects claims it sought to hook children to Facebook, Instagram as landmark trial beginsESPN DeportesOhtani conecta jonrón 30 y Dodgers amarra serie ante RockiesESPNWNBA Power Rankings: Can the Liberty find their way into the top four?RTBF InfoAprès l’incendie des Hautes Fagnes : quelles leçons tirer face aux risques de climatoscepticisme et de procrastination ?וואלהשינויי האקלים מובילים לטמפרטורות שיא בימים סביב אירופהSeeking AlphaEvolve FANGMA Index ETF CAD Hedged declares CAD 0.0016 dividendVanguard24 killed, many injured in fresh Plateau attackPolsat NewsOdeszła bohaterka Powstania Warszawskiego. Wanda Traczyk-Stawska miała 99 latThe ConversationOne Nation wants to cut the tobacco tax. Would that curb the illicit cigarette market?SDP EspectáculosMadre de Hayden Panettiere arremete contra Brian Hickerson tras la muerte de su hija
The Daily Newsstand · Free, Always
Wednesday, August 19, 2026

PNP tracking spread of videos of deadly Ateneo de Zamboanga shooting

Translate

MANILA, Philippines — Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Gen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the agency to monitor and report the spread of sensitive videos showing the fatal shooting incident at the Ateneo de Zamboanga University (ADZU) Junior High School.

“This is an unfortunate incident that should be treated with utmost sensitivity, especially that there were minors involved in the content. Let us all be compassionate over this tragedy and it starts by showing respect and becoming responsible netizens,” Nartatez said in a statement.

“The PNP-ACG and other concerned units were already directed to monitor and report the spread of sensitive videos online,” he added.

Article continues after this advertisement

READ: Ateneo de Zamboanga shooting: 2 students dead

FEATURED STORIES

NEWSINFO

NEWSINFO

NEWSINFO

According to the police, the shooting was carried out by a Grade 9 student wielding two pistols, killing a Grade 10 student before supposedly turning the firearms on himself.

Interior and Local Government Secretary Jonvic Remulla previously confirmed that the shooter had livestreamed the act on his social media account.

However, Nartatez urged the public, “We appeal to everyone to refrain from sharing or reposting the videos and photos of the incident.”

“These materials can cause further distress to the victims, their families and the public, and may also interfere with the ongoing investigation,” he added.

Article continues after this advertisement

The PNP chief assured that the national police force continued to work with the Department of Education to ensure the safety of schools across the country.

“We have to dig deeper into this matter, especially that this is not the first time that this tragedy happened,” Nartatez said, alluding to the June 22 shooting incident at the San Jose National High School in Tacloban City which killed three students.

Article continues after this advertisement

“Our focus is to check if there’s a pattern or identify intervention measures to prevent the repeat of this kind of incident,” he added. /mr

View the original on Inquirer

KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.