ESPN DeportesNahuel Guzmán impide que Atlante se adelante en el marcador desde el manchónESPNArsenal make 'perfect start' to Prem title defensePunchSubsidy: Your reforms worsening hardship, Atiku lashes at TinubuThe Jerusalem PostPentagon fires editor-in-chief of US military newspaper, reportedly for opposing censorshipESPN CricinfoStarc rips through Bangladesh with five wickets in 22 ballsسكاي نيوز عربيةوول ستريت جورنال: وزير الجيش الأميركي يستعد للاستقالةTagesschauMagdeburg: Kaiser Otto der Große bekommt neues GrabScreen RantPennywise’s Time Travel Twist In It: Welcome To Derry Hints At His Biggest Weakness In Season 2HabertürkKolu patoz makinesine sıkışan genç ağır yaralandıLa NaciónComo en The Last Of Us: descubren hongos en México que “secuestran el cerebro de las hormigas y los convierten en zombis”조선일보“텔레그램 탈퇴·시그널 깔아라“… 특검 정보 털어 후배 도운 警Malay MailBursa likely to trade with an upside bias next week
The Daily Newsstand · Free, Always
Saturday, August 22, 2026

Australia's capital to join gun buyback in response to Bondi Beach attack

Translate

SYDNEY: Australia's capital will join a gun buyback as part of a response to a shooting spree that killed 15 at a Jewish festival in Sydney, Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said on Saturday (Aug 22).

Albanese's centre-left government enacted laws in January for the gun buyback, tighter checks for gun licences and a crackdown on hate in the wake of the December 14 gun attack at a Bondi Beach Hanukkah celebration in Sydney, the capital of New South Wales state.

The state, Australia's most populous, became the first to commit to the plan, which will launch on November 2.

The Australian Capital Territory, home of the national capital Canberra, has agreed to a similar scheme in an effort to make sure "an antisemitic terrorist attack like we saw at Bondi can’t happen again", Albanese said.

"I thank the ACT Government for their collaboration as we work to take guns off our streets in order to better protect Australians," he said in a statement.

The ACT has 23,000 guns and more than 7,000 firearms licence holders, the statement said. It did not say when the ACT buyback would begin. Albanese's office did not immediately respond to a request for details.

The gunmen accused of carrying out the Bondi Beach attack, a father and son who police say were inspired by Islamic State, used powerful firearms that were legally obtained. The surviving suspect is yet to enter pleas to a raft of charges, including 15 counts of murder.

Australia had a record 4.1 million firearms last year, the government has said.

The buyback is to be Australia's largest since a similar campaign after a 1996 rampage in Tasmania's Port Arthur, in which a gunman killed 35 people.

View the original on Channel News Asia

KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.