ESPNTimberwolves offseason recap and early season preview: How will Edwards, Ball mesh?PunchKaduna CP orders investigation following viral extortion videoוואלהבכיר בנאט"ו על הדיווח לפיו איראן תתקוף מטרות באירופה: "ערוכים לכל איום"The Jerusalem PostTurkey slams Israel's 'untenable' claims after strikes on Syrian baseDaily MaverickKEY MAN: Malcolm in the middle: How Marx could swing key battles in SA’s favourBollywood HungamaKiara Advani to team up with Saif Ali Khan for Kanika Dhillon’s supernatural thriller: REPORTХабрREADME врёт: как я сделал open‑source линтер, который сверяет документацию с реальным репозиторием7sur7Isack Hadjar déclare forfait pour le GP des Pays-Basسكاي نيوز عربيةالسيسي وحفتر يبحثان استقرار ليبيا ودعم السلم والأمنColliderAnne Hathaway’s $80M Sci-Fi Thriller Crosses Major Box Office MilestoneRTL BoulevardFKA Twigs wint eerste rechtszaak over artiestennaamVarietyEmily Watson Says Growing Up in a Religious Cult Almost Stopped Her From Starring in ‘Breaking the Waves’: ‘I Was Like a Piece of Wire That Had Been Unplugged’
The Daily Newsstand · Free, Always
Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Ombudsman flags Loren Legarda’s leave extension as ‘suspicious’

Translate

In this photo taken on Feb. 5, 2026 shows Sen. Loren Legarda.

The Philippine STAR / Ryan Baldemor

MANILA, Philippines — The Office of the Ombudsman has raised serious questions over the whereabouts of Senator Loren Legarda, describing her repeated extensions of travel authority as "quite suspicious" while she and her son, Rep. Leandro Leviste, are under probe over alleged undelivered solar energy projects.

In a press briefing on Tuesday, August 18, Assistant Ombudsman Mico Clavano said that Legarda is currently on what he believes to be her third extension of a travel authority granted for medical reasons.

"Sen. Loren Legarda is on her, I believe, third or fourth extension of her travel authority for medical reasons, which we have begun to find quite suspicious already," Clavano said.

“We need to flag this because there is an ongoing case here in the Office of the Ombudsman,” he added.

According to the National Bureau of Investigation, Legarda left for France while Leviste flew to Hong Kong on separate flights on August 2.

For Leviste, Clavano also said that he requested a two-month leave from July 26 to September 24 to visit several countries.

On July 31, Ombudsman Jesus Crispin Remulla disclosed that the Ombudsman is investigating Legarda and Leviste for alleged P10-billion graft and plunder charges stemming from accusations that Leviste’s renewable energy company failed to supply solar energy as required by its legislative franchise.

Following his announcement, the two lawmakers left the country.

In response to Clavano’s pronouncements, Legarda asserted that she had done nothing wrong and defended her foreign medical leave as legitimate under Senate rules, refusing to let baseless claims tarnish her public record.

“I will not allow baseless accusations to trample on my unblemished record of public service. I have filed a medical leave with the Senate, in accordance with Senate rules. Neither I nor anyone else deserves to be subjected to unfounded accusations over the exercise of one’s legal rights. I have committed absolutely no wrongdoing,” Legarda said.

"I urge the public to be discerning, especially in light of the timing and nature of these false allegations. I remain confident that once the facts come out, we will be vindicated,” she added.

View the original on The Philippine Star

KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.