וואלהאיראן: "לא מקבלים הפסקת אש - רק את סיום המלחמה"ESPNPadres minor league coordinator detained by ICEESPN DeportesBarcelona anuncia el fichaje de RodriDaily MaverickGRASSROOTS POWER: How one doctor’s neighbourhood cleanup sparked a citywide movement in GqeberhaThe Jerusalem PostDear Prime Minister Netanyahu: Leave American Jews out of your campaign - opinionBollywood HungamaSCOOP: Rajinikanth creates HISTORY! Jailer 2 bags record Rs. 160 cr. OTT deal; biggest ever for a Tamil filmFootball ItaliaMilan reject Porto offer for Gimenez as Rossoneri hold out for larger sumPremium TimesPolitical parties may select candidates, it’s the people that select governments, By Akeem BelloRolling StoneFrank Beard, ZZ Top’s Hard-Shuffling Drummer, Dead at 77Deadline‘Spider-Man: Brand New Day’ Fastest To Cross $800M At Domestic Box OfficeIl Fatto QuotidianoGli Usa sanzionano la presidente della Corte Penale Internazionale Tomoko Akane. La replica: “A rischio lo Stato di diritto”MintUS sanctions ICC president Tomoko Akane over Israel and Afghanistan investigations
The Daily Newsstand · Free, Always
Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Premier League chief says Infantino hit ‘self-destruct’ with World Cup plan

Translate
FILE PHOTO: “I don’t think FIFA should be ever contemplating selling off a stake in the World Cup,” says Premier League Chief executive officer Richard Masters.

FILE PHOTO: “I don’t think FIFA should be ever contemplating selling off a stake in the World Cup,” says Premier League Chief executive officer Richard Masters. | Photo Credit: Getty Images

infoIcon

FILE PHOTO: “I don’t think FIFA should be ever contemplating selling off a stake in the World Cup,” says Premier League Chief executive officer Richard Masters. | Photo Credit: Getty Images

Premier League chief executive Richard Masters says under-fire FIFA president Gianni Infantino pressed the “self-destruct button” over his botched plan to bring private investment into the World Cup.

Kevin Lamour, who broke ranks with senior directors at world football’s governing body last month and issued a scathing statement criticising Infantino over the plans, left his job as FIFA’s chief operating officer on Monday.

UEFA has been a vocal critic of Infantino and England’s Football Association has also withdrawn its support for the FIFA president.

“This is a problem of FIFA’s making,” Masters told the BBC.

READ | Premier League to share independent body’s review of referee and VAR decisions

“This is a self-inflicted wound. The organisation has pressed the self-destruct button, and the consequences of that flow now into the solutions that need to be found.

“I don’t think FIFA should be ever contemplating selling off a stake in the World Cup.

“They’re a not-for-profit organisation. They should really be holding that competition in trust for the future of football.”

Masters added: “I think it’s a bad idea, and the FA have taken the right position regards to Gianni.”

As for a possible rival to Infantino, up for re-election next year, Masters said: “I think an emerging unity candidate should have on his or her agenda reform of FIFA, and perhaps even reform of the president’s role and how it interacts with those things.”

View the original on Sportstar

KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.