RTP DesportoPortugal no Azerbaijão para fazer história no Europeu feminino de voleibolPunchVIDEO: Adeleke sings, dances as he receives INEC certificate of returnESPNSources: Giants trade Faalele to OL-needy JagsThe Jerusalem PostSurrounded yet alone: The hidden loneliness behind Israel’s mental health crisis - opinionESPN DeportesFernando Tapia y los 12 años de espera para jugar con Américaוואלהדיווחים ערביים: תשעה הרוגים מתקיפות צה"ל בעיר עזהBollywood HungamaAmazon MGM Studios and Colour Yellow announce Nayyi Navelli starring Yami Gautam DharCBS NewsWatch Live: Lindsay Clancy trial resumes with cross-examination of psychologistFootball ItaliaRuggeri: ‘I was enchanted by Aston Villa project’ and Italy ambitionAntara NewsDefense Minister signals Indonesia to receive more fighter jetsNTVFurkan Vakfı soruşturmasında beş şirkete kayyum atandıSportstarEast Bengal vs SC Delhi LIVE score: EBFC 0-0 SCD; Rashid hits the crossbar; Gill saves penalty; Durand Cup 2026 semifinal updates
The Daily Newsstand · Free, Always
Wednesday, August 19, 2026

764-linked Western Cape teen hit with more than 10 charges

Translate

A 16-year-old teenager arrested in Malmesbury following an FBI-linked investigation appeared in court on Tuesday, 18 August, facing 11 charges.

The teenager appeared in the Malmesbury Magistrate’s Court, a day after police arrested him during an investigation into alleged child sexual abuse material and violent online networks.

The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) in the Western Cape confirmed that seven of the charges relate to sexual assault involving compelled self-sexual assault.

He also faces charges of sexual exploitation of children, exposing or displaying pornography to a child by image, unlawful and intentional distribution of child pornography and possession of child pornography.

The NPA said the remaining charges include cruelty to animals and a data message threatening people with damage to property or violence.

Malmesbury case postponed

The court postponed the matter until Thursday, 20 August.

According to the NPA, the postponement will allow for the outcome of an assessment by a district surgeon.

The teenager cannot be identified because he is a minor.

His arrest followed an investigation involving the South African Police Service (SAPS) and international law-enforcement agencies.

SAPS previously said its National Serial and Electronic Crime Investigations (SECI) Team acted on intelligence received from the FBI, the United States Embassy and the National Centre for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC).

The intelligence pointed investigators to a suspect in South Africa allegedly linked to violent international online networks commonly referred to as “764”.

FBI intelligence led investigators to Western Cape

Police traced the teenager to an address in Malmesbury and arrested him on Monday, 17 August.

According to SAPS, a preliminary examination of electronic devices allegedly uncovered images and videos depicting child sexual abuse and animal mutilation.

Investigators seized the devices for further forensic analysis.

The operation involved several specialised SAPS units, with support from FBI and Homeland Security Investigations agents attached to the US Embassy.

Police previously said investigators had identified a number of child victims.

SAPS describes “764” as violent international online extremist networks associated with child exploitation and other harmful criminal activity.

View the original on The South African

KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.