Punch2027: Kwankwaso explains Obi alliance, declares Ganduje, Yusuf finishedוואלהשישה בני אדם נהרגו ונוספים נפצעו בנהירה למקדש בהודוThe Jerusalem PostMamdani fans flames of antisemitism by pairing false allyship with anti-Israel rhetoric - editorialInquirerBudget scrutiny flags ballooning LGU fundESPNMercury retire Taurasi's No. 3 on 'amazing' nightESPN DeportesGilberto Mora adelanta a Tijuana nuevamente en el marcadorالنهاريكذبون ويسرقون ويخفون آثارهم... وكلاء الذكاء الاصطناعي يثيرون أزمة ثقةBollywood HungamaEXCLUSIVE: Industry veterans join hands for Malamaal Weekly 2; Subhash Kale, Chandraprakash Jain announce MEGA collaboration한겨레이 대통령 “민주당은 하나일 때 가장 강했다” 화합 강조SözcüTürkler Rusya'yı bir bir terk ediyor: Karaca Home, Les Benjamins, OXXO, Beymen Club, NetWork, Madame Coco...The South AfricanConfirmed: When Springboks will name team to face All BlacksCNN TürkGalatasaray’da Batrakov transferinde mutlu sona bir adım kaldı
The Daily Newsstand · Free, Always
Monday, August 17, 2026

Lawyer of remaining ‘maleta boys’ readying affidavit vs recanters

Translate
The 10 so-called “maleta boys” or the alleged bagmen of former lawmaker Zaldy Co have been released from police custody after posting bail for four counts of perjury, their legal counsel Levito Baligod announced on Saturday.
Lawyer Levi Baligod (center) —Inquirer/Marianne Bermudez

MANILA, Philippines — The lawyer of the remaining so-called “maleta boys” on Friday said he will prepare an affidavit debunking the statement of those from the group who later recanted their statement before prosecutors following claims of being under duress while doing so.

Lawyer Levito Baligod, who went to the Office of the Ombudsman along with most of the remaining 14 “bodyguards”, made the update.

“I was invited so we could talk about how we could strengthen the case being considered by the Office of the Ombudsman,” Baligod told reporters in Filipino during an ambush interview on Friday evening. “And second, they wanted to know what the circumstances were with the recantation of the four.”

Article continues after this advertisement

The then 18 “bodyguards”, who identified themselves as former bodyguards of former Ako Bicol party-list Rep. Zaldy Co, claimed that they have delivered suitcases of cash to Co, former House Speaker Martin Romualdez, and even President Ferdinand Marcos Jr.

FEATURED STORIES

NEWSINFO

NEWSINFO

NEWSINFO

However, the four men later recanted their allegations in previous sworn statements against Romualdez, Co and Marcos Jr., according to a GMA News report.

Ombudsman investigators accused Romualdez and Co of alleged “concerted and coordinated acts” in “unlawfully amassing, accumulating, and acquiring ill-gotten wealth” amounting to approximately P56 billion from 2022 to 2025, some of which were purportedly delivered by the bodyguards through suitcases.

READ: Probe of Romualdez, Co tags firms, ‘maleta’ use

In their complaint-affidavits, investigators cited the testimony of three of the four bodyguards who later recanted their statements.

Article continues after this advertisement

These three bodyguards claimed that, when they appeared before the Ombudsman, they were allegedly pressured to sign affidavits that had already been prepared and were supposedly warned of facing multiple charges should they refuse.

“I will be preparing, together with the Ombudsman lawyers, an affidavit from those who were able to observe the proceedings during the question-and-answer exercise between the witnesses and the Ombudsman lawyers,” Baligod said.

Article continues after this advertisement

Baligod said the other members of the maleta boys will belie the claims of the recanters that they were threatened by Ombudsman lawyers.

Despite disputing their claims, Baligod said the four “maleta boys” have long been threatened and have been the subject of psychological and financial “focused operations.”

In February, Baligod submitted a single joint affidavit of 18 bodyguards to the Office of the Ombudsman.

At that time, Remulla said each of the 18 should submit their respective separate affidavits, saying that a joint narration of facts on such matters casts doubt on their credibility.

READ: Ombudsman wants ‘unique perspective’ of each of 18 ‘ex-Marines’

Of the 18, the Ombudsman obtained the separate affidavits from only eight of them.

Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.

Your subscription has been successful.

Three of the four personalities who recanted are among those eight, since the other one did not submit a separate affidavit. /cb

View the original on Inquirer

KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.