וואלההתפרצות האבולה ברפובליקה הדמוקרטית של קונגו גבתה את חייהם של 2,325 בני אדםESPN DeportesAmérica golea a San Luis con gol de Diego ArriagaPunchRivers reconciliation: Wike allies, Fubara camp close ranksThe Jerusalem PostRapper ‘The Shadow’ removed as police volunteer amid investigationCNN Türk17 AĞUSTOS AKARYAKIT FİYATLARI: Benzin, motorin, LPG, akaryakıt fiyatları ne kadar? İstanbul, Ankara, İzmir akaryakıt fiyatlarında son durum...ESPNSeminoles star Whaley, 22, wins U.S. Amateur title한겨레구글, 2분기 한국어 유튜브 채널 449개 폐쇄…“비정상적 활동 패턴”UOLDefensorias lançam fórum para atuar no Congresso, mirando orçamento e espaço nos tribunaisCBS NewsCBS News poll on whether Democrats split over socialismInfobaeKeiko Fujimori sobre simulacro de terremoto de 8,8: “Las cifras que me tocó leer, la verdad, eran terribles”El Comercio▷ Canales TV que transmiten Xolos de Tijuana vs. Cruz Azul EN VIVO EN DIRECTO por la Liga MX 2026New Straits TimesYen edges up as traders push back Fed rate hike bets
The Daily Newsstand · Free, Always
Monday, August 17, 2026

Hong Kong competition watchdog launches raids over suspected HK$500 million renovation bid-rigging

Translate

Hong Kong’s competition watchdog has launched raids at 12 premises over alleged bid-rigging involving 28 building renovation projects worth around HK$500 million.

Hong Kong's Competition Commission raid 12 premises in an operation targetting bid-riggin in the city's building maintenance sector on August 12, 2026. Photo: Competition Commission.
Hong Kong’s Competition Commission raid 12 premises in an operation targetting bid-riggin in the city’s building maintenance sector on August 12, 2026. Photo: Competition Commission.

The Competition Commission said on Thursday that the raids, conducted on Wednesday under an operation codenamed “Hunter,” included the offices of four unnamed building contractors.

The operation was a follow-up to an investigation in January in which the watchdog searched the offices of 14 companies, including project contractors and consultancy firms, over suspected bid-rigging involving HK$700 million worth of building renovation contracts.

“Among the evidence seized during the first round of the operation [in January], the Commission unearthed a series of suspicious text messages exposing the potential existence of another hidden bid-rigging syndicate that attempted to manipulate the outcome of the tender for a building maintenance project,” the watchdog said in a statement on Thursday.

“The conversation revealed that during the project’s tendering process, a contractor who was not previously under investigation… had allegedly scouted for other contractors through middlemen to submit cover bids,” it said.

Housing estate Sui Wo Court in Fo Tan covered with scaffolding nets on December 2, 2025. Photo: Kyle Lam/HKFP.
Housing estate Sui Wo Court in Fo Tan covered with scaffolding nets on December 2, 2025. Sui Wo Court is not named in the Competition Commission statement released on August 13, 2026. File photo: Kyle Lam/HKFP.

“However, the response the contractor received was that some contractors had already been recruited by others to participate in bid-rigging for the same project,” it added.

The commission said the contractor suspected of bid-rigging had made pricing instructions to other firms – dubbed “homework” among the syndicate – to manipulate tender results.

The 28 building renovation projects spanned 12 districts across the city, the watchdog said, adding that some of them were yet to be awarded.

Crackdown following Tai Po fire

The Competition Commission launched a large-scale crackdown on bid-rigging in the city’s building maintenance market following the massive fire at Tai Po’s Wang Fuk Court in November last year.

In March, the commission sued a “building maintenance cartel” that had allegedly secured contracts at multiple housing estates worth nearly HK$700 million through bid-rigging and other illicit practices, including at the fire-hit Wang Fuk Court.

During a public inquiry into the fire last month, the watchdog called for the anti-competition behaviour to be criminalised, describing bid-rigging as “widespread” and “systematic” in Hong Kong.

Wang Fuk Court in Tai Po on December 10, 2025. Photo; Kelly Ho/HKFP.
Wang Fuk Court in Tai Po on December 10, 2025. Photo: Kelly Ho/HKFP.

Currently, cases involving breaches of the city’s Competition Ordinance are civil in nature rather than criminal. They heard by the Competition Tribunal, which can impose sanctions such as fines or director disqualifications.

The Wang Fuk Court blaze killed 168 people and displaced thousands, making it one of the worst fire in the city in decades.

The public inquiry heard that non-fire-retardant construction materials were used in a major renovation project at the Tai Po housing estate, contributing to the rapid spread of the blaze, while bid-rigging was suspected during the tender process for the HK$336 million project.

An independent committee investigating the fire is expected to submit a report in October on the cause of the tragedy and the systemic failures that contributed to the high death toll.

Safeguard press freedom; keep HKFP free for all readers by supporting our team

Support HKFP  |  Policies & Ethics  |  Error/typo?  |  Contact  |  Newsletter  | Transparency & Annual Report | Apps

Make a one-off donation.
hkfp payment methods

Youtube video

Youtube video

Hans Tse is a reporter at Hong Kong Free Press with an interest in local politics, academia, and media transformation. He was previously a social science researcher, with writing published in the Social Movement Studies and Social Transformation of Chinese Societies journals. He holds an M.Phil in communication from the Chinese University of Hong Kong.

Before joining HKFP, he also worked as a freelance reporter for Initium between 2019 and 2021, where he covered the height - and aftermath - of the 2019 protests, as well as the national security law imposed by Beijing in 2020.

View the original on Hong Kong Free Press

KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.