Man charged with arson after 'around 10' fires started in popular London park


A man has been charged with arson after around multiple fires broke out in a popular park in east London.
Police said a man in his 50s was arrested on suspicion of arson, setting fires and possession of a Class A drug.
“The London Fire Brigade quickly extinguished around ten fires, all within London Fields,” the Met said in a statement. No injuries were reported.
Isaac Shozi, 50, of Bodney Road in Hackney, was later charged with arson.
Detective Superintendent Liz Cumber, who leads policing in central east London, said: “No one can be in any doubt about the dangers of starting fires, particularly following the recent hot weather and heightened risk of wildfires.
“Even small fires can spread quickly and put people, buildings and open spaces at risk.
“We take all reports of this nature extremely seriously and work closely with partners, including the London Fire Brigade. We will investigate all incidents, identify those responsible and ensure appropriate action is taken against those who are reported to have endangered the public.”
The alert, which began appearing on mobile devices from 7pm, warned people not to light anything that could spark a wildfire, including barbecues, campfires, and fireworks.
In a record-setting summer, the hottest temperature of the year in the UK was recorded on Thursday when the mercury hit 38.1C in Kew Gardens.
More than 1,000 wildfires have been recorded in England and Wales this year, according to data shared by the National Fire Chiefs Council (NFCC), the same as last year’s record-breaking total.
KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.