The Jerusalem PostJewish, Hindu, Zoroastrian parents sue California school district over mosque field tripESPN Deportes¿Quién fue Tommy John y por qué da nombre a la popular cirugía?וואלההלל מרדכי דדון בן ה-7 הוא הילד שנדקר למוות בבית שמשESPNPreseason AP poll reaction: What's next for each Top 25 teamBBC SportMonday Night ClubColliderDisney Officially Sets Release Date for Next Live-Action RemakeCBS NewsLuigi Mangione's New York trial postponedالشرقالخارجية الأميركية لـ"الشرق": مستعدون لدعم حوار سوداني شامل بقيادة مدنيةynetבצפון פסימיים לגבי תוכנית השיקום של איזנקוט - במפלגתו הבטיחו: "נוכיח שטעיתם"National PostIt’s National Cheap Flight Day this week. Can you really get a better deal?Radio-CanadaChurchill Falls : « C’est quelque chose de la même envergure que la Baie-James »PitchforkColumbia House Is Shutting Down
The Daily Newsstand · Free, Always
Monday, August 17, 2026

Australia slows down ‘backpacker visas’ in fresh migration crackdown

Translate

Australia is slowing the issuance of new “working holiday” visas popular with backpackers as the government looks at policies to cut migration to the country.

“They are still being processed, but they are being processed more slowly than they were previously,” Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke said on Sunday.

The visas allow people to come to Australia to work and travel for a set period of time, and are popular with European and Japanese citizens.

Applications for people from 24 nations with an annual cap are “paused” for the current financial year, which began in July, according to the department’s website. Processing times for people from nations with no cap have started to get longer since July, The Sydney Morning Herald reported.

Foreigners on Australia’s working holiday visa pick strawberries in a farm. Photo: Audi Melsom

Foreigners on Australia’s working holiday visa pick strawberries in a farm. Photo: Audi Melsom

The Minister had been planning to announce new migration curbs at a speech earlier this month, but that was cancelled at the last minute and the new policy was currently “going through a cabinet process,” Burke said on Sunday, declining to say when the new policy would be announced.

View the original on South China Morning Post

KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.