CNN TürkFED tutanakları altına nasıl yansır? Muhammet Bayram’dan altın için yıl sonu tahmini: 8.400 TL seviyesini işaret ettiPunchVIDEO: I had no doubt Adeleke would win, says brother Dr. DejiBollywood HungamaKaran Johar teams up with Musafir Cafe director Ruchir Arun for a Dharmatic seriesDaily MaverickSomalia federal troops and armed opposition clash in Baidoa cityThe Jerusalem PostRemembering IDF soldiers who lost their lives to hidden wounds - opinionוואלהשישה פצועים בתאונה בין שלושה כלי רכב בכביש 92 סמוך לרמות한겨레김민석 “민주당 바꾸겠다…언어·정책·태도·문화 진화할 것”InquirerSan Juan River breaches critical level amid monsoon rainUOLLula visita navio-sonda da Petrobras na Margem EquatorialSky TG24Eurovision Song Contest, Burgas ospiterà la 71esima edizioneFootball ItaliaInter set for new round of talks for Jones after Liverpool’s white lie against ComoIl Fatto QuotidianoBloomberg: “Funzionari di Berlino aprono alla vendita a Unicredit della quota del governo tedesco in Commerzbank”
The Daily Newsstand · Free, Always
Monday, August 17, 2026

Charity says government wildfire alert put domestic abuse victims at risk

Translate

A domestic abuse charity has criticised the emergency government phone alert which was sent to millions across the UK on Friday evening.

However, survivors of domestic abuse have said that a lack of advance warning meant those hiding secret phones, used to seek support and try to escape abusers, had little chance of protection.

Campaigners, including Women's Aid, the national charity aiming to end domestic abuse, have called for more forewarning of alerts wherever possible.

<p>Police officers watch as a firefighter works at the site of a wildfire in Hornchurch, east of London, on July 30,</p>

Police officers watch as a firefighter works at the site of a wildfire in Hornchurch

AFP/Getty

Veronica Oakeshott, the charity's head of external affairs, told the BBC: "Survivors of domestic abuse frequently turn to second phones to help them access lifesaving support or flee from abuse.”

She added that it is “vital” that such devices stay hidden in domestic abuse situations.

Maggie Evans, director of frontline services at abuse prevention charity Hourglass, called for ministers to consult organisations supporting the most vulnerable before future alerts.

She said that there had been "no meaningful advance warning to frontline domestic abuse charities" and "no targeted safety guidance for victims".

Ms Evans added: "Domestic abuse victims should never be put at risk by the very systems meant to keep us all safe.

"Effective public safety must always be built on proper safeguarding."

They said: "On Friday alone, crews were tackling 43 wildfires across the country and had declared 11 major incidents, stretching resources to the very limit and requiring military support... we urge everyone to follow fire safety advice to help protect people and property."

The burnt out remains of houses following a huge blaze in Stourbridge (Jacob King/PA)

The burnt out remains of houses following a huge blaze in Stourbridge (Jacob King/PA)

PA Wire

The spokesperson added that the government was working closely with domestic abuse charities for tests of the system.

The notification, which cautioned against the use of disposable barbecues, naked flames or fireworks, was the biggest use yet of the emergency alert system and Prime Minister Andy Burnham urged the public to take it "seriously".

Some have questioned whether the alert was necessary, with one of the system's architects Frazer Rhodes saying the alert "really has divided opinion" and that the government should set out the criteria for when it will and will not be used.

Julian Jessop, fellow at the Institute of Economic Affairs, told the BBC that the "very high" threshold for sending an alert "hasn't been reached - I don't think there's an immediate risk to life everywhere".

The government has urged people to keep emergency alerts switched on as they may contain “life-saving information".

However, those who want to opt out of the alerts, including people who wish to conceal secret phones, can find advice for iPhones, Androids and other devices on the government website.

View the original on Evening Standard

KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.