Mathare abductions: Witness protection boss summoned
Mothers protest abduction of youths in Huruma and Mathare, block vehicles from entering Parliament.
Photo credit: NMG
Correspondent
Nation Media Group
The High Court has ordered the Director of the Witness Protection Agency (WPA) to appear in person on Tuesday, August 18, 2026, to explain the status of witnesses whom the court directed should be placed under the agency’s protection.
The witnesses are relatives of victims who were allegedly abducted by police two months ago in Nairobi’s Mathare slums.
Justice Alexander Muteti, sitting at the Milimani High Court, issued the order after four lawyers representing the victims told the court they had not received any tangible information on the fate of the witnesses who were supposed to be protected.
Lawyers told the judge they had made several visits to the agency’s offices but had not received any substantive information about the witnesses, who fear for their lives.
They told the judge that despite making several visits to the agency, they had not been informed whether the witnesses who had recorded statements had been taken into protective custody or provided with safe houses.
There was no legal representation for the agency in court.
In the absence of a representative from the agency, Justice Muteti asked Mr Mango to go to the WPA offices and establish whether any of the witnesses had been placed under its care and protection.
“I have been to the offices of WPA, but I have got no assistance. I urge this court to summon the director to appear in court to explain the position of witnesses whom the court ordered on July 20, 2026, to be protected,” Mr Mango told the judge.
The judge subsequently allowed the plea by the relatives of the victims and summoned the agency director to appear in person and explain the status of the witnesses.
“The director is hereby summoned to attend court in person on Tuesday to explain the status of the witnesses supposed to be placed under protection,” Justice Muteti ordered.
Relatives of the alleged abductees Macmillan Mugo, Abdulaziz Zizu, Michael Oloo and Evans Oloo have recorded statements with the Independent Policing Oversight Authority (IPOA) over the alleged abduction of their kin by hooded men. They have expressed fears for their safety and sought the intervention of the witness protection.
On July 20, 2026, Justice Muteti had summoned Inspector General of Police Douglas Kanja and Director of Criminal Investigations Mohamed Amin to appear in court in person and explain the whereabouts of three people who had recently been abducted in Mathare, Nairobi.
However, when the IG and DCI appeared in court, they said the three missing persons were not in police custody.
Lawyer Paul Nyamondi asked the judge to allow the police to conduct investigations to establish the whereabouts of the missing persons.
The Law Society of Kenya (LSK), alongside lawyers Ian Mutiso and Mr Mango, representing the victims, urged the judge to order the IG and DCI to return to court and explain the whereabouts of the three missing persons, who were allegedly arrested and bundled into black Subaru vehicles.
“I urge this court to order IG Douglas Kanja and the director of DCI to attend court in person to explain who arrested the three missing persons if not police,” Mr Mutiso told the judge.
Mr Mutiso also urged the judge to take judicial notice of what he described as the return of abductions, which he said were being carried out most cruelly.
LSK and Mr Mango asked the court to stamp its authority and hold the IG and DCI accountable for the missing persons.
“The IG and DCI should not be allowed to get away with this matter. Kenyans want to hear from the two where these three innocent Kenyans are,” the LSK lawyer submitted.
The judge ordered the IG and DCI to file evidence explaining the whereabouts of the three missing persons.
Relatives of the abducted men filed the case seeking orders compelling the IG, DCI, the Officer Commanding Buruburu Police Station and the Attorney General to produce the missing persons in court.
They disappeared on June 20, 2026.
Follow our WhatsApp channel for breaking news updates and more stories like this.
KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.