PunchEx-Zambian minister killed during security raid – Policeוואלהמצור, הסלמה מאיראן - ואיום החות'י: מה עמד מאחורי הזיגזג של טראמפ? | דיווחThe Jerusalem Post'We will tear you to pieces': Indian general warns Erdogan about pact with Saudi Arabia, PakistanInquirer Entertainment‪Soft launch? Magui Ford gives glimpse of rumored romance with Robbie JaworskiESPNMax Verstappen signs new Red Bull deal to 2030Bollywood Hungama24 Years of Bend It Like Beckham: Gurinder Chadha’s film is the ONLY movie to have been distributed in every country, including North Korea; TV premiere was CENSORED by nearly 50 minutesDaily Maverick20 Questions: 20 questions with Sumeshni KhanInquirerAlonto Adiong: Skipping OVP’s 2027 budget hearings typical for DuterteSky TG24Pooh, la possibile scaletta del concerto a Roccella JonicaNMEIs Patrick Wilson in ‘Insidious: Out Of The Further’?3DNewsАнонсирован NightRunner — вдохновлённый Escape from Tarkov шутер про оборону бронепоездаEgypt IndependentEgypt secures $2 billion massive aluminum mega-project in Suez Canal Zone
The Daily Newsstand · Free, Always
Thursday, August 20, 2026

Disposable barbecue caused grass fire which spread to gardens and houses

Translate

A disposable barbecue caused a grass fire which spread to homes and gardens in Stoke-on-Trent, an investigation has found.

Four homes in the Goldenhill area of the city were severely damaged on Thursday, with roofs destroyed and windows blown out, after a fire in Sandyford Park spread rapidly due to a combination of extremely dry conditions and wind speeds, Staffordshire Fire and Rescue said.

Four firefighters were taken to hospital after suffering smoke inhalation and the effects of heat exhaustion, with one still remaining in hospital while the other three have been discharged.

An investigation by the fire service has found the cause of the fire, which also destroyed several gardens in Sandy Road and Maureen Avenue, and saw residents evacuated to a nearby community centre, was accidental and started by a disposable barbecue.

Emergency services at four houses that were damaged by a grass fire on Sandy Road, Stoke-on-Trent (Stephanie Wareham/PA)

PA Wire

The Stoke-on-Trent fire was one of several that broke out in the West Midlands, Wales and other areas last week, prompting Prime Minister Andy Burnham to announce a temporary ban on disposable barbecues amid ongoing hot conditions.

Station manager Liam Hickey, who attended the scene, said: “This incident goes to show the devastation and impact that disposable barbecues can have on local communities.

“Although this incident took place before the temporary national ban was announced, it shows why it is so important that people adhere to these new rules and do everything possible to help protect people in Staffordshire from the risks of wildfires during a period of continued unpredicted demand.

“We are continuing to do everything we can to tackle these fires and carry out prevention activity in high-risk areas, and we ask that people continue to take extra precautions to help ease the impact on local communities and emergency services who continue to work hard to keep people safe.”

View the original on Evening Standard

KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.