PunchMorning recap: States get N435bn for security, Atiku’s subsidy push opposed, other top storiesוואלהנקבע מותו של גבר כבן 31 שנפצע באירוע אלימות בעראבהInquirerMimaropa cops, responders rescue 12 teachers stranded by rising riverDaily MaverickWHAT WE’RE WATCHING: The Invite: Olivia Wilde invites you to a sharp, awkward dinner-party satireThe Jerusalem PostPentagon spokesperson says claims of US munitions shortage amid Iran war 'false' - reportESPN DeportesJudge batea en la T por primera vez desde su lesiónESPNSources: M's calling up top prospect Anderson한겨레한양사이버대 AX사업단, ‘AI 활용 영상제작 경진대회’서 건축도시공학과 성동규 학생 등 3명 시상SözcüAvrupa ülkesinde durum vahim: 14 bin kişi aynı sebepten öldüCNN TürkHava Durumu (21-08-2026)NTVCeyda Yakova'nın öldüğü trafik kazasında yeni ayrıntılar ortaya çıktı: "İç kanama geçirdi"Antara NewsPARKROYAL COLLECTION Marina Bay, Singapore Named Among Singapore's Top 10 Hotels by Travel
The Daily Newsstand · Free, Always
Friday, August 21, 2026

Man raped young Brisbane woman on his way to work, police allege

Translate

The victim of an alleged rape in Brisbane's west crossed a creek and bushland before being able to call for help, police have said.

Detective Superintendent Andrew Massingham said the 23-year-old woman had been walking in Brookfield with a family member who she had become separated from at about 6:30am yesterday.

Police allege a 32-year-old man who had been driving to work through the area approached the woman from behind.

"We will be alleging that he approached her from behind and dragged her in nearby bushes," he said.

Police tape and gazebos down a bank beside a road.

Police allege the man stopped and assaulted a woman in her 20s in Brookfield on Thursday morning. (ABC News: Lucy Loram)

He said the alleged assault occurred for "some time" before the man left the scene and went to work.

"We will then allege that when he completed work for the day he drove back past the crime scene," Superintendent Massingham said.

After the alleged assault police said the woman crossed a nearby creek and bushland before reaching the Brookfield Showgrounds Oval, where she contacted family and police.

Superintendent Massingham said the man's vehicle was identified by police when he allegedly drove past the scene later after work, and he was arrested at a nearby street.

"The man has been charged with six counts of rape and one count each of stalking, assault with intent to commit rape, assault occasioning bodily harm and deprivation of liberty," Superintendent Massingham said.

He is expected to appear in Brisbane Magistrates Court today.

close up image of a male police officer speaking behind a lectern in a suit

Detective superintendent Andrew Massingham said the woman was on a walk with a close family member. (ABC News: Lucas Hill)

There will be an increased police presence in the area over the next few days, but Superintendent Massingham said all the charges related to the one incident, and police are not looking for anyone else in connection with the alleged assault.

A crime scene will remain in place for some time.

Superintendent Massingham thanked the media and community for assisting police in identifying the alleged offender.

"After your media reporting last night two witnesses came forward with two pieces of dashcam vision that was the final piece in the puzzle that we needed to solve this horrific crime," he said.

He acknowledged the bravery of the woman in coming forward to report the alleged assault and said she was home with her family.

"This is a horrific and confronting incident that no one should ever experience,"

he said.

"She has suffered injuries as a result of yesterday's assault but she has been provided with the utmost care medically and psychologically that we can at this time and our officers will continue to ensure that she has support in the days ahead.

"Our thoughts are with her, family, and of course the Brookfield community at what is a very difficult time."

two police officers stand next to a police vehicle and police tape cordons off an area

Police presence has increased in the area following the incident. (ABC News: Lucy Loram)

Locals never worried before

Maya Torrence and Olivia Gilling were walking near the scene on Friday morning and said they had never been worried about their safety in the area before.

"It's really devastating, kind of confronting," Ms Torrence said.

"You just never think that something will happen like this so close to you."

A blonde woman in a maroon t shirt standing in front of police car on the side of the road.

Maya Torrence says she hadn't been concerned when walking in the area before but might be now. (ABC News)

Ms Gilling said the popularity of the area for morning walks made the incident more concerning.

"I think generally it's a safe place but you never know what can happen and it is worrisome and sad," she said.

"Never [been worried about our safety] before … but now maybe," Ms Torrence said.

View the original on ABC News (Australia)

KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.