Dozens of Origin customers' full bank accounts, ID numbers accessed in breach
Posted , updated
Origin Energy experienced a data breach in July. (ABC News: Darryl Torpy)
Origin Energy has announced as many as 60 customers had their full bank account number accessed by a hacker in July.
Last month, Origin confirmed a major cybersecurity breach affecting approximately 900,000 current and former customers.
The company has also updated the public saying that for those 900,000 customers affected by the July security breach, information accessed included some combination of name, address, date of birth, contact phone number, account and other information about the customer's personal circumstances, as well as the last four digits of a credit card, or the last three digits of a bank account.
The hacker, Origin has confirmed, also accessed "numbers associated with government concession scheme or program, affecting approximately 15,000 customers in total".
The criminal investigation into the breach is still ongoing, Origin Energy CEO Frank Calabria said.
"We have substantially completed our review into the information accessed for each affected customer, and our priority is completing our notifications to them and providing support," he said in a statement.
"We have taken a number of steps to enhance the security of our systems to prevent future incidents of this kind."
The update from the energy company comes after authorities traced the cyber hack to a call centre in the Philippines, with the investigation linking the breach to a former Accenture employee in Manila.
Accenture works with Origin to run its call centres, but a spokesperson for the company declined to comment on the Origin incident when contacted by the ABC on Tuesday.
KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.