Insecurity: Nigeria must not become a killing field, Obi tells FG

File: NDC presidential candidate, Peter Obi
The presidential candidate of the Nigeria Democratic Congress, Peter Obi, has condemned the recent killings and abductions in parts of Nigeria’s North-Central region, warning that the country must not become a “killing field.”
Obi made this known in a statement posted on his X handle on Sunday, following recent attacks in Benue, Plateau and Niger states.
He described the attacks as a national security emergency, urging governments at all levels to take urgent and decisive action to protect vulnerable communities and prevent further bloodshed.
He wrote, “”What is happening to our country? In recent days, deadly attacks have struck Benue, Plateau and Niger States, three contiguous states in Nigeria’s North-Central region.
“In Mangu, Plateau State, at least 23 people were officially reported killed in the Jwak Maitumbi attack, while residents put the toll above 30. More than 45 houses were reportedly destroyed.
“In Borgu, Niger State, recent attacks reportedly killed over 40 people and abducted more than 100, though the figures remain contested. This comes amid continuing violence in Benue, where communities face repeated killings, abductions and the destruction of homes and livelihoods.”
Obi said Nigerians were being attacked in their communities despite the country not being officially at war.
“Nigeria is not officially at war, yet citizens are being attacked in their villages, abducted after prayers, driven from their homes and stripped of their farms,” he said.
- Atiku, Obi camps reject single opposition candidate
- My job is to give opposition leaders high blood pressure — Wike
- Morning recap: APC-Accord Osun naira rain, Atiku’s fuel subsidy debate, other top stories
He argued that the violence in the three states should no longer be treated as isolated incidents, noting that similar attacks were occurring in other parts of the country.
The former Anambra State governor urged governments at all levels to strengthen security measures, improve intelligence gathering and rapid-response capabilities, rescue abducted Nigerians and arrest and prosecute those responsible for the attacks.
“I urge governments at all levels to wake up to their responsibility and take urgent and decisive action to end this madness once and for all,” he said.
“Government must protect vulnerable communities, improve intelligence and rapid-response capabilities, rescue abducted Nigerians, and arrest and prosecute those responsible.”
Obi said the government should focus on preventing attacks rather than responding after lives had been lost.
“We cannot keep counting bodies after every attack. We must prevent these attacks before they happen.
“Protecting lives and property is the most basic duty of government. Nigerians deserve nothing less. Nigeria must not become a killing field.”
KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.