Trump says U.S. and Canada strike deal, temporarily pauses tariffs

U.S. President Donald Trump shakes hands with Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney as he welcomes Carney at the White House in Washington on Oct. 7, 2025. | REUTERS
REUTERS
Aug 19, 2026
OTTAWA – Prime Minister Mark Carney spoke with U.S. President Donald Trump on Tuesday afternoon, Carney’s office said, as Canada tries to hash out a last-minute deal to avert new 50% tariffs from taking effect at midnight.
It was the second time this week the two leaders have spoken and there was little clarity from the U.S. or Canada on the status of talks after weeks of intense negotiations.
Existing U.S. auto tariffs had been a sticking point, two industry sources familiar with the talks said.
In a time of both misinformation and too much information,
quality journalism is more crucial than ever.
By subscribing, you can help us get the story right.
KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.