CNN TürkMutlak butlan sonrası bir ilk: CHP'nin 81 il başkanı Ankara'ya gidiyor!וואלהרכב התהפך בכביש 234 סמוך לטל אור - אישה נפצעה בינוניThe Jerusalem PostIsrael’s battle for global consciousness: Why the Sparta doctrine harms national security - opinionPunchWhy Kebbi gov’s labour background suits Tinubu’s campaign role — AideInquirerNorthern Mindanao top cop Abrahano is new NCRPO OIC한겨레민주 “사법부가 조희대 나가라 외쳐야…‘당 결집 계기’ 기대감도The Sydney Morning HeraldSwans fans divided on staging boycott of men’s match20 MinutenSchwerer Unfall: Mann (38) stirbt im Spital – Beifahrer überlebtNTVAziz İhsan Aktaş davasında yarın karar günüColliderRidley Scott Officially Takes Over Free Streaming With $100M Epic Ahead of Sci-Fi ReturnLenta.ruТокаев высказался о назначении вице-президентаn-tvSkandinavisches Design von 1956: Volvo Amazon - ein Auto, wie es vorher noch keins gab
The Daily Newsstand · Free, Always
Sunday, August 23, 2026

Girl, 6, dies three days after Shoreham sea incident that killed parents and sister

Translate

A six-year-old girl has died in hospital three days after being pulled from the sea off Shoreham in West Sussex, in an incident that also killed her mother, father and sister.

Saja El-Khawas died on Friday after the deaths of her sister Sara El-Khawas, 14, and her parents Hassan El-Khawas, 55, and Zeina Alayn, 37, on Tuesday.

Saja had been in hospital in a critical condition since the incident.

Police, paramedics, coastguard crews and a lifeboat attended the scene at Shoreham Fort early on Tuesday afternoon after a report of four people in difficulty in the water.

In a statement, Sussex police said: “It is understood the family travelled down from their home in London to visit Shoreham, and entered the water from the beach at Shoreham Fort around 2pm on Tuesday afternoon, before getting into trouble.

“The investigation into the incident remains open, but following review of CCTV footage and initial witness accounts, the current hypothesis is that this was a tragic accident, with no third-party involvement.”

Her identity and death were confirmed in a legal notice from solicitors acting on behalf of Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS foundation trust, as well as the Palestinian Forum in Britain. The Palestinian embassy previously confirmed her father was a Palestinian refugee from the Rashidieh camp in Lebanon.

Sussex police said the family’s next of kin “are aware and continue to receive the full support of our officers during this unimaginably difficult time”.

Ch Supt James Collis said: “This heartbreaking update is one we all feared in the aftermath of Tuesday’s tragic events.

“I cannot imagine the devastation felt by the wider family of Hassan, Zeina, Sara and Saja after this loss. On behalf of everyone at Sussex police, I extend our thoughts and heartfelt condolences.

“The impact of this tragedy has been felt across the country, and I know the Shoreham community, emergency responders and all involved will continue to be affected for a long time to come.”

“I would like to thank all of the public who have shared their sympathies and kind words, and once again ask for the victims’ family and loved ones to be left to grieve in privacy.”

Sara’s school in London said in a statement that she was “a sweet girl, well-liked by staff and students and she will be greatly missed.

“Our thoughts and heartfelt condolences are with her family, friends, and all those affected.

“This news will be deeply upsetting for many students, families and staff.”

View the original on The Guardian

KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.