ESPNLakers minority owner not selling his 4% stakePunchEPL: Liverpool make approach for Brighton winger Minteh — ReportsThe Jerusalem PostTed Cruz hails $3.2 billion in Israeli investment, 4,200 jobs created in Texasוואלהנער בן 16 נפצע קשה במהלך רכיבה על קורקינט חשמלי בדרוםESPN Deportes¿El momento de ANT? ¿Qué esperar de Anthony Edwards en 2026-27?Bollywood HungamaEXCLUSIVE: Shahid Kapoor gets straight back to work after Italy holiday, resumes Farzi 2 shoot in MumbaiDaily MaverickBULK SAVINGS: How one food stokvel helps 45 North West families fight hungerRTP DesportoLiga Europa (Play-off). SL Benfica - AGF AarhusVarietyCBS Sets ‘Daughters of 9/11’ Special for 25th Anniversary of Sept. 11
The Daily Newsstand · Free, Always
Thursday, August 20, 2026

BREAKING: ‘764’-linked Malmesbury teen to remain behind bars

Translate

A 16-year-old boy accused of links to the international “764” network will remain behind bars after the Malmesbury Magistrate’s Court postponed his case on Thursday, 20 August.

He will return to court on 27 August 2026 for a formal bail application as the case involving 11 serious charges continues.

The teenager faces charges linked to child sexual abuse material following an international investigation that led South African authorities to Malmesbury earlier this week.

The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) said the charges include allegations that he coerced children into producing sexual material and carrying out acts of self-harm. The case allegedly involves child victims in the United States.

The State alleges that some of the victims were as young as 11.

FBI intelligence leads police to Malmesbury

Police arrested the teenager on Monday, 17 August, after the FBI, US Embassy and National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC) shared intelligence with South African authorities.

The intelligence allegedly linked a person in South Africa to “764”, a name associated with violent online networks that target and exploit children.

SAPS investigators traced the target to Malmesbury and launched an operation involving the National Serial and Electronic Crime Investigations team and several specialised police units.

The FBI and Homeland Security Investigations also assisted South African authorities.

Officers seized several electronic devices during the operation and sent them for forensic analysis.

Police identify child victims

SAPS said investigators found explicit images and videos depicting child sexual abuse and animal mutilation during an initial analysis of the devices.

Investigators have also identified several child victims.

Forensic experts will examine the seized devices to determine the full extent of the alleged offences.

Police are also probing possible fraud and money laundering offences linked to the investigation.

What is ‘764’?

The FBI describes “764” as part of a wider group of violent online networks that target children and vulnerable people.

The FBI says perpetrators often approach minors through social media and gaming platforms. They can build trust before using threats, manipulation and coercion to exploit their victims.

The Malmesbury investigation has now put the network’s potential reach into South Africa under the spotlight.

View the original on The South African

KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.