News24 | Fadiel Adams says he’s ready for his criminal trial, Madlanga Commission

NCC leader Fadiel Adams appeared in the Pinetown Magistrate's Court on Friday, where the State confirmed investigations were finalised and asked that the matter be transferred to the Regional Court for trial in September.
Anelisa Kubheka/News24
- NCC leader Fadiel Adams appeared in court on Friday, where the State confirmed investigations were finalised and asked that the matter be transferred to the Regional Court for trial in September.
- He is accused of visiting two prison inmates under the guise of official parliamentary business.
- Adams said he was ready for trial and indicated that he would also pursue litigation over his arrest and detention.
Suspended Member of Parliament Fadiel Adams was in high spirits and optimistic about heading to trial on Friday when he appeared in the Pinetown Magistrate’s Court, where his matter was adjourned to September.
State advocate Nokulunga Ngcobo told the court that investigations into the case had been finalised and asked that it be transferred to the Regional Court, where the trial would be heard.
Adams is charged with two counts of defeating the ends of justice and three counts of fraud.
He is alleged to have gone to Westville Prison to visit two inmates under the guise of being on official parliamentary business. He was also escorted to and from the prison from King Shaka International Airport by Durban metro police.
One of the inmates he visited was convicted hitman Sibusiso Ncengwa, serving time for the murder of ANC Youth League leader Sindiso Magaqa.
READ | Fadiel Adams granted R10 000 bail
The other was former PKTT sergeant Bonginkosi Dlamini, who was awaiting trial, accused of accepting a R120 000 bribe to fudge the murder investigation of an ANC branch leader.
In court, Adams’ defence attorney Donavon Moodley placed on record that the State had committed to disclosing the docket to the defence ahead of his first appearance in the trial court.
“This will be in about a week from today. We will make the necessary arrangements to obtain full disclosure. In addition to this, a copy of the charge sheet will be provided to us at the same time that the disclosure is made,” said Moodley.
‘Game on’
Speaking outside court after the matter was adjourned, Adams hit out at the National Prosecuting Authority and South African Police Service (SAPS), claiming far too many resources were being poured into his charges, which did not even carry a minimum sentence.
Adams said:
We are moving to the regional court for drama, for the shock factor. If this is the number of resources that they can throw on a Schedule 1 accusation, no wonder killer police are still walking around here in KZN. No wonder [controversial businessman Panganathan ‘Timmy’] Marimuthu’s arrest... they waited four years.
He said that he was optimistic and ready for the trial.
“They finalised the investigation, but they are going to make us wait for the docket. I can tell you this, once they provide the further particulars, then it’s game on. They should have provided it today. They tried to delay for two weeks; we know why. I’m at Madlanga on Wednesday, and they don’t want us to have further particulars until then, but it’s fine, we are ready. Let them play the game; it’s a game to them. We take it seriously,” Adams added.
When asked whether he was ready to bear the financial burden of travelling to Durban during the trial, he said that justice was not cheap in South Africa.
“I am not concerned about the money, broke as I am. We are going to do what is necessary. Ultimately, what we want is to live safely, all of us, and it’s clear that our safety is compromised by people wearing blue uniforms,” said Adams.
Planned litigation
Prior to proceedings, Adams had spoken outside court about his arrest, saying: “A Schedule 1 accusation doesn’t warrant a warrant of arrest. The paperwork for the warrant should have been given to me on my arrest. I had to go to the Cape High Court in order to obtain it.”
READ | National Coloured Congress MP Fadiel Adams to spend six more days in jail
He also indicated that litigation would begin in the next two weeks in Cape Town, “pertaining to things like my arrest and detention”.
Adams added that he was ready for his appearance before the Madlanga Commission on Wednesday.
Commenting on what had been heard so far before the commission, Adams said that it was clear that the country had hit squads in blue, referring to the SAPS.
“And we have got a provincial commissioner of KZN who is more concerned about everything, everything, except what is happening in his own province that we’ve got cartel hitmen in blue uniform using our tax money.”
KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.