Ateneo de Zamboanga to tighten security including vehicle checks

MANILA, Philippines — Following a school shooting on August 18, the Ateneo de Zamboanga University (AdZU) will enforce tighter security measures, including the inspection of vehicles.
It also intends to add some security equipment starting Monday.
AdZU University President Fr. Ernald Andal, SJ. announced these moves on Saturday evening in a community update.
Article continues after this advertisement
“Beginning Monday, we will implement more thorough vehicle inspections, stricter ID checks, closer monitoring of entry and exit points, and tighter control of visitor access,” Andal said.
FEATURED STORIES
NEWSINFO
NEWSINFO
NEWSINFO
READ: PNP to tighten firearm safekeeping rules after Zamboanga shooting
Zamboanga police previously flagged “mere visual checks” for vehicles taking students into campus after initial investigation showed that the student school shooter brought in two guns left inside the family car that brought him to campus.
Moreover, the student reportedly avoided the designated security check by using a ramp designated for students with disabilities.
Andal said that the AdZU campuses will also increase its security facilities long-term through “additional CCTV in classrooms and hallways, strengthened real-time monitoring, additional metal detectors and X-ray machines at designated pedestrian entrances, and better visitor reception and holding areas.”
Article continues after this advertisement
He also noted the importance of cooperation between the school and the students’ families, saying “What happens at home is just as important as what happens at school.”
Andal, the AdZU Basic Education vice president and the school principals will meet on Tuesday in a forum where the parents may share their concerns.
Article continues after this advertisement
READ: Education community calls for safe spaces after Zamboanga shooting
“Healing must be grounded in truth. We need to understand these matters so that accountability can be properly addressed and our schools can be made safer,” he said.
Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.
He also noted that the official report from the police is expected to come out on Monday. /apl
KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.