Rep. Marcy Teodoro charged for sexual assault; decries sudden panel swap

MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Justice (DOJ) on Tuesday confirmed that five criminal cases were filed against Marikina City 1st District Representative Marcelino “Marcy” Teodoro involving two police officers.
“The Department of Justice confirms the filing of five (5) criminal cases against Marikina City 1st District Representative Marcelino “Marcy” R. Teodoro: four (4) counts of Sexual Assault and one (1) count of Acts of Lasciviousness, involving two (2) female police officers who previously served as his security personnel,” DOJ spokesperson Polo Martinez said.
READ: 2 cops file sex charges vs Marikina lawmaker
Article continues after this advertisement
The formal charges follow an investigation into allegations brought forward by the victim-complainants, who previously served as his security detail.
FEATURED STORIES
NEWSINFO
NEWSINFO
NEWSINFO
Martinez said the informations (charge sheets) for sexual assault were filed with the Regional Trial Court, while the Information for Acts of Lasciviousness was filed with the Metropolitan Trial Court (MeTC), which has jurisdiction over such offense.
“The Informations have already been filed…along with a transmittal of the records of the cases,” Martinez stated. “The cases are now under the court’s jurisdiction and shall proceed in accordance with the Rules of Court for the conduct of trial.”
Meanwhile, Teodoro’s counsel, Atty. Alma Mallonga denied the allegations.
She said, the case against Teodoro was handled and investigated for almost seven months by a panel of lady prosecutors. However, a different prosecutor signed the resolution.
Article continues after this advertisement
“Ang mga reklamo ay dumaan sa imbestigasyon ng isang DOJ panel na itinatag para dito. Nagkaroon ng mga hearing at natapos ang imbestigasyon mahigit pitong buwan na ang nakalilipas.” Mallonga said.
(The complaints went through an investigation by a DOJ Panel created specifically for this purpose. The DOJ Panel held hearings and completed the investigation over seven months ago.)
Article continues after this advertisement
“Kaya nakakagulat na nagkaroon ng isang resolution na hindi ginawa o pinirmahan ng DOJ panel na nagsagawa ng imbestigasyon. Sa halip, ito ay ginawa at pinirmahan ng ibang state prosecutor,” she added.
(That is why it is surprising that a resolution was issued that was not prepared or signed by the DOJ panel that conducted the investigation. Instead, a different state prosecutor prepared and signed it.) /jpv
KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.