ESPN DeportesFlick pide más fichajes para Barcelona: "Necesitamos algo más"ESPNSource: Cubs' Swanson (oblique) out 4-6 weeksוואלהסיפוח הורמוז, מזכר ההבנות - ומפציצי B-2: טראמפ משיב אש לאיראןDaily MaverickAgribusiness exploits humans and animals alike – legal protections should be species-blindThe Jerusalem PostLuigi Mangione's New York murder trial postponed amid double jeopardy challengeSBS 뉴스[정치쇼] 최민희 "팀정청래 선전 이유? 이 대통령 뒷받침하면서 당은 '개혁' 앞장서란 뜻"Rai NewsSoffoca la sua ex compagna e poi si impicca: tragedia di Ferragosto in provincia di VeneziaRFIEspagne: le président de Ceuta menace Pedro Sanchez de faire appel à la justice face à la crise migratoireDW EnglishUS tourist killed by lightning on Sicily's Mount EtnaSDP EspectáculosPati Chapoy reacciona a los abucheos que recibió: “Está bien que la gente se desahogue”ABC News (Australia)Road to Phillip Island closed after fatal accidentGlobal NewsEdmonton police contine to search for answers in death of 16-year-old girl
The Daily Newsstand · Free, Always
Monday, August 17, 2026

At least 68 killed in Indonesia quake as aftershocks hamper rescue efforts

Translate

The number of people killed in a powerful earthquake in eastern Indonesia has risen to 68 as rescue workers continue to search for people trapped under rubble.

Almost 13,000 people have been evacuated following the country's deadliest disaster since 2022, with many sheltering in tents outdoors or at schools and police stations afraid to return to their homes due to fears of aftershocks.

Nearly 1,600 aftershocks have been detected in the province since Saturday, when the magnitude-7.7 quake hit the Indonesian island of Flores.

One of the most prominent, a 5.6 magnitude earthquake, was recorded on Monday morning, local time, according to the country's geophysics agency.

A young boy walks through a classroom covered in rubble with the roof caving in.

A school has been damaged in Reo, East Nusa Tenggara province. (AP: Firdia Lisnawati)

An official at Indonesia's disaster mitigation agency, Berton SP Panjaitan, confirmed the death toll had risen to 68, up from 54, on Monday night, local time, and that more than 200 people had been injured.

More than 1,300 homes have been damaged, with nearly 250 destroyed on Flores alone, according to the National Disaster Management Agency.

Military and police officers have been deployed across the disaster zone, supported by 10 aircraft to distribute 275 tonnes of aid to the area.

But logistical challenges have slowed deliveries to some hard-hit communities, according to Abdul Muhari, deputy chief of the country's disaster management agency.

Three children walk down a church aisle which is covered with rubble.

A church in Ruteng, Manggarai regency, in the East Nusa Tenggara province, has been damaged in the quake. (Reuters: Willy Kurniawan)

Indonesian Red Cross' head of disaster management Ridwan Sobri Carman said access to isolated communities had started to improve which meant they could help with evacuation efforts and providing first aid.

"Our team is also working with the local authorities in seven districts to reach communities affected by landslides," he told The World.

"At the moment, infrastructure is quite critical."

He said while the worst of the damage had occurred in Flores, some islands close by had also been affected.

Medical staff wearing masks attend to a patient in a bed inside a big tent.

Patients are treated in a makeshift tent outside a hospital amid fears of aftershocks in Ruteng, East Nusa Tenggara province. (AP: Firdia Lisnawati)

The National Disaster Management Agency was working with federal and international agencies on the disaster response and emergency fund, according to Ridwan Sobri Carman.

"Our houses are no longer liveable, because many have collapsed and are full of cracks, so we can't go inside anymore," Mbay resident Junaidin told AFP outside a self-made tent that was sleeping about 30 people.

"We only go back home to get water, clothes, pillows, and then we… spend the nights here."

Authorities have also set up two emergency field hospitals in the worst-hit town of Ruteng to treat earthquake victims after local hospitals were damaged, with two crisis management teams overseeing a health emergency operation centre, according to the National Disaster Management Agency.

A woman cooks over an outdoor fire with a large tent made of sheets behind her.

Helmi Yanati is sheltering outside her damaged house following the earthquake, in Poco village, Manggarai regency. (Reuters: Willy Kurniawan)

During Indonesia's Independence Day ceremony in Jakarta, President Prabowo Subianto asked for people to pray for those affected by disasters in East Nusa Tenggara and other parts of the country, while leading a nationwide moment of silence honouring the nation's independence heroes.

But those affected by the disaster have called on the government to do more.

"As for help from the government, there hasn't been any — no tents, no medicine, no food, no drinking water, nothing," said Junaidin, who only has one name.

"Please open your eyes, government. We are your people, we are part of you. So please look after us."

View the original on ABC News (Australia)

KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.