The Jerusalem PostIDF arrests three Palestinian suspects related to attack on Jewish West Bank hikersCNN Türk‘RONALDINHO TAKTİĞİNE’ YENİLMEDİ!ESPNTristan H. Cockcroft's deep sleepers: Carson Beck, Tre' Harris and 12 more to watchBollywood HungamaAamir Khan begins major weight-loss transformation for Ashutosh Gowariker's LalkaaraPunchTwo feared dead, dozens homeless as flood hits Jigawa communityInquirer155 loose firearms surrendered, seized in Ilocosוואלהלוחמי צה"ל עצרו 3 תושבי סעיר בחשד ליידוי אבניםVanguardTroops nab suspected gunrunner in Plateau, rescue kidnapped victim in EdoNotJustOkFOLA releases new single 'attention!'SportstarTreesa Jolly-Gayatri Gopichand vs Liu-Tan LIVE: BWF World Championships 2026 semifinal score — Treesa, Gayatri win Game 1 21-18Screen RantStar Trek Meets Minecraft In Huge New Open-World Sci-Fi AdventureANSA SportGasperini: "Roma numericamente incompleta, ma rosa più competitiva"
The Daily Newsstand · Free, Always
Saturday, August 22, 2026

‘Insecurity, boat accident raising death rate in Sokoto’

Translate
‘Insecurity, boat accident raising death rate in Sokoto’

The governorship candidate of the African Democratic Congress in Sokoto State, Hon. Manir Muhammad Dan’iya

The governorship candidate of the African Democratic Congress in Sokoto State, Manir Dan’iya, has expressed concern over the rising deaths recorded across the state in recent days, describing the situation as a worsening security and humanitarian crisis.

Dan’iya, popularly known as Walin Sokoto, said reports from different parts of the state suggested that more than 100 people might have lost their lives in separate incidents within the past 10 days.

He cited the recent attacks in Ungushi, Kebbe Local Government Area, where residents were reportedly killed by bandits, as well as deaths recorded in Wurno and Silame local government areas.

He also referred to the Gorau boat accident in Goronyo Local Government Area, where the reported death toll had risen to 53 while recovery efforts continued.

In a statement on Friday by his media aide, Aminu Abdullahi, Dan’iya said the frequency of the incidents should compel the federal and state governments to take urgent action.

He said, “The scale and frequency of these tragedies should be a wake-up call to the Sokoto State Government and the Federal Government.

“Government cannot continue to treat the loss of citizens’ lives as isolated incidents when communities are facing killings, insecurity, displacement and preventable tragedies.”

The ADC candidate accused the authorities of failing to demonstrate the level of urgency required to address the security situation, saying many residents were now living in fear.

He stressed that the protection of lives and property remained the most important responsibility of government.

“No amount of infrastructure, commissioning ceremonies or political programmes can compensate for lives lost when citizens are not adequately protected,” he said.

Dan’iya also questioned the recent rush by the state government to inaugurate and commence projects as the 2027 elections draw closer.

He alleged that some of the projects should have been executed earlier in the life of the administration, calling for transparency and accountability in their implementation and expenditure.

He said the government should prioritise the security and humanitarian challenges confronting residents instead of concentrating on political activities.

The former deputy governor further warned that persistent killings and displacement could have implications for the 2027 electoral process.

“If the killings continue at this rate, there may be fewer people left in these communities to participate in the 2027 elections,” he warned.

Dan’iya called on the federal and Sokoto State governments to strengthen security operations, improve intelligence gathering, protect vulnerable communities and ensure that those responsible for attacks were arrested and prosecuted.

He also demanded urgent safety measures on the state’s waterways and improved emergency response mechanisms to prevent further loss of lives.

While commiserating with families of victims of the recent attacks and Gorau boat tragedy, he commended security operatives, local divers, community volunteers and other first responders involved in rescue and recovery operations.

View the original on Punch

KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.