The Jerusalem Post'Better off delivering empty speeches': Katz warns Erdogan against 'dragging' Turkey into SyriaInquirerFlood displaces 233 families in Lian, Batangasוואלהכ"ץ מאיים על ארדואן: "אל תעמיד למבחן את נחישותה של ישראל"PunchWhy elite athletes use supplements — ReportBollywood HungamaAbhay Deol teams up with Victorinox India for 18-month watch campaignESPNTransfer rumors, news: Napoli eye moves for Zirkzee, JacksonCNN TürkAK Parti'nin 25. yılına özel video yayımlandıUOLGrande volume de lixo flutuando no rio Pinheiros chama atenção após forte chuva em SPDaily MailMax Verstappen ends speculation over his F1 future by agreeing new deal with Red Bull - after four-time world champion held talks with McLaren over sensational switchCNewsАвиационный учебный центр «РАТА» внедрил Directum СЭД+ за четыре месяцаBBC NewsAt least 12 killed in Kyiv as Ukraine grapples with air defence shortagesSBS 뉴스[이슈토론] "곶감 빼먹기식 의견수렴 곤란…책상 전문가 아닌 시장 전문가 의견 들어야"
The Daily Newsstand · Free, Always
Thursday, August 20, 2026

Cross River gov orders aides to withdraw case against critic

Translate
Cross River gov orders aides to withdraw case against critic

File: Governor Bassey Otu of Cross River

Cross River State Governor, Bassey Otu, has directed his aides who reported social commentator and businessman, Denis Odama, to the police to withdraw their complaint against him.

Otu also directed the state Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice to urgently review the case and take steps to discontinue the prosecution, paving the way for Odama’s release from the correctional centre and reunion with his family.

The governor disclosed this in a statement posted on his verified Facebook page on Wednesday, saying he had been fully briefed on the matter involving Odama, who was reported to the police by some of his aides over what he described as a “derogatory and insidious” statement against him.

Otu said, “As a father and leader, I have directed the aides involved to withdraw their complaint against Mr. Odama.”

He added that he had directed the Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice to review the matter and, within his constitutional discretion, take the necessary steps to discontinue the case.

The governor said the move was intended to ensure that Odama could leave the correctional centre without further delay.

“I have also directed the Honourable Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice of the State to urgently review the matter and, in the exercise of his constitutional discretion, take the necessary steps to discontinue the case, so that Mr. Odama may be released from the correctional centre without further delay and reunited with his family,” he said.

Explaining his decision, Otu invoked Section 39 of the 1999 Constitution, which guarantees freedom of expression.

The governor said he remained committed to protecting the right of Cross Riverians to express themselves, including those who criticise his administration.

“I hold a firm belief and faith in the provisions of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, particularly Section 39, which guarantees every citizen the right to freely express themselves.

“I remain committed to upholding this right for all Cross Riverians, including those who criticise me,” Otu said.

However, Otu urged young people to exercise the right responsibly and with consideration for the cultural values and moral standards of the state.

“I also encourage our young people, even as they exercise this constitutional freedom, to do so responsibly and with regard for the cultural values and moral standards we hold dear as a people,” he said.

Otu also said his mandate from Cross Riverians required him to listen to their concerns and respond to constructive criticism.

“You voted me as your Governor to listen and to act on positive suggestions, advice, and constructive criticism, and I will continue not only to listen, but to act accordingly,” he said.

He concluded by calling on residents to see the protection and development of the state as a collective responsibility.

Odama had been arrested by the police in Lagos on August 9, 2026, following a complaint filed by some of Otu’s aides. He was subsequently transferred to Calabar, where he was arraigned and remanded in custody.

The case had attracted criticism from rights activists and political figures, with calls for Odama’s release.

Odama had spent about a week in detention before Otu’s intervention as the businessman and social media critic was accused of making derogatory comments about the governor online.

The development also followed an earlier clarification by the Cross River State Commissioner for Information, Ekpenyong Cobham, who said the case had not originated from Otu or the state government.

Cobham said the petition was filed by the individuals involved in their personal capacities and that the state government and governor’s office should be separated from the process.

View the original on Punch

KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.