More voices oppose Puerto Galera’s P50 environmental fee

CALAPAN CITY, Oriental Mindoro — Opposition to Puerto Galera’s P50 Environmental User’s Fee (EUF) for Mindoro residents is growing, with local figures and stakeholders questioning the policy’s impact on tourism, fairness and public consultation.
The questioned measure is Municipal Ordinance No. 2025-030, or the Revised Puerto Galera EUF System Ordinance, which was passed on Dec. 11, 2025.
Mindoro historian Florante Villarica is among the latest critics of the fee. In a social media post, Villarica said he would stop bringing visitors and tourists to Puerto Galera if the municipal government proceeds with the collection.
Article continues after this advertisement
READ: Mindoro residents urge Puerto Galera: Restore environment fee exemptions
FEATURED STORIES
NEWSINFO
NEWSINFO
NEWSINFO
“There are many other towns they can visit. They might even enjoy those places more. I will not even mention that we own property there and have books to donate just to get an exemption from the P50 EUF,” Villarica said.
Provincial Tourism Officer Dhon Calda also called for a review of the municipal ordinance, clarifying that he was speaking as a Puerto Galera resident and not in his official capacity.
“I understand the goal of environmental protection. But at a time when tourist arrivals have not yet risen steadily based on Department of Tourism data, and as we face stiff competition from other destinations, perhaps it is time to think about how we can strengthen domestic tourism — including our own fellow residents from within the province,” Calda said.
Business owner Emmanuel Lineses, in a message to the Inquirer on Friday, Aug. 21, also questioned the public consultation conducted before the ordinance was approved.
Article continues after this advertisement
Lineses said stakeholders from outside Puerto Galera who would be affected by the policy were not invited to the consultations.
“They try to make it appear that only tourists from Mindoro are being charged, but the ordinance explicitly states all residents of Mindoro — which is why even those who are merely coming to install CCTV equipment in the town are being charged the EUF,” Lineses said.
Article continues after this advertisement
The growing opposition comes amid calls from various sectors to reconsider the policy and restore the exemption previously granted to residents of Oriental and Occidental Mindoro.
Critics said imposing the fee on fellow Mindoro residents could create an unnecessary barrier to travel and undermine efforts to encourage local tourism. /das
KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.