Bollywood HungamaAamir Khan begins major weight-loss transformation for Ashutosh Gowariker's LalkaaraCNN TürkDEPREM SON DAKİKA 22 AĞUSTOS! Bugün deprem mi oldu, nerede, kaç şiddetinde? 22 Ağustos 2026 AFAD ve Kandilli Rasathanesi son depremler listesiPunchTwo feared dead, dozens homeless as flood hits Jigawa communityESPNSources: DeRozan joining Nuggets on 1-year dealInquirer155 loose firearms surrendered, seized in IlocosThe Jerusalem PostFacing exile and persecution, an Iranian dissident crossed from devout Muslim to student of Judaismוואלהלוחמי צה"ל עצרו 3 תושבי סעיר בחשד ליידוי אבנים매일경제[속보] 제주 실종 장미란씨 추정 시신 발견…신분증 나와CNN بالعربيةمطاردة غريبة في لوس أنجلوس.. مشتبه به يتوقف لتعبئة الوقود قبل مواصلة الهربScreen RantDark Souls: Soul Of Cinder Statue Arrives In 2027SCMP ChinaChinese J-16 fighters arrive in Egypt ahead of Eagles of Civilisation 2026 joint drillThe VergeTwo great new repairable gadgets
The Daily Newsstand · Free, Always
Saturday, August 22, 2026

Gunmen invade Mosques, abduct worshippers in Niger

Translate

MINNA — Gunmen have reportedly invaded several communities in Borgu Local Government Area of Niger State, abducting an unspecified number of worshippers shortly after Friday prayers.

The attacks reportedly occurred in Dekara, Gidan Zana, Sabon Gida and Masaka communities, according to residents and the federal lawmaker representing the area, Hon. Jafar Muhammad Shetiman Borgu.

Shetiman Borgu, who confirmed the attacks to the BBC, monitored by our correspondent, said the actual number of people abducted had yet to be ascertained.

He said several worshippers were attacked with machetes, while some managed to escape with injuries.

“Some people managed to escape, while others sustained machete wounds,” he was quoted as saying.

According to him, the attackers entered Dekara after Friday prayers, surrounded a mosque and took worshippers into the forest.

He added that the gunmen subsequently moved into neighbouring communities, where they abducted more people after Friday prayers.

The lawmaker said youths and heads of households were among those taken away.

The latest attacks have heightened concerns over the security situation in Borgu, which borders Kebbi and Kwara states as well as the Republic of Benin.

Shetiman Borgu said forests in the area had become hideouts for suspected members of the Lakurawa and Mamudawa groups.

He disclosed that there had reportedly been a disagreement between the two groups following the attacks on worshippers on Friday.

According to him, some members of the groups were said to have opposed the invasion of mosques and abduction of worshippers, leading to clashes between the factions.

He said authorities suspected that the abductors might have targeted youths for recruitment, although it remained unclear whether the attackers were members of Lakurawa or Mamudawa.

In recent months, reports have emerged of suspected Lakurawa fighters operating in parts of Niger State, where they allegedly gathered residents for preaching and warned them against activities they considered contrary to their interpretation of Islamic teachings.

The group has reportedly preached against stealing, alcohol consumption and adultery, while calling on residents to observe Sharia principles.

Despite assurances by security agencies that efforts are ongoing to combat armed groups in Niger State, the latest attacks have further underscored the security challenges confronting communities in the state.

Last week, more than 20 people were reportedly killed in parts of Borgu Local Government Area.

Borgu was also the scene of a major abduction in November 2025, when gunmen reportedly abducted more than 200 pupils in Papiri. The children were later released after spending about a month in captivity.

View the original on Vanguard

KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.