ESPN DeportesChivas baja decibeles ante un Santos que empieza a dar avisosInquirerSara Duterte’s continued absence from Senate impeach trial slammedESPNScheffler opens playoffs with dominant 8-shot winוואלההתפרצות האבולה ברפובליקה הדמוקרטית של קונגו גבתה את חייהם של 2,325 בני אדםPunchMillwall sweat over Azeez injurySözcüÇadır kentte kavga: 6 yaralıUOLCandidatos ao governo de MG focam em crise fiscal do estado em 1º debateNTVSon dakika deprem mi oldu? Az önce deprem nerede oldu? İstanbul, Ankara, İzmir ve il il AFAD son depremler 17 Ağustos 2026Deadline‘Lanterns’ Creators On That OMG First Episode Ending – Crew Call PodcastThe Sydney Morning HeraldGreat Southern hits high-grade gold below WA resourceSCMP ChinaXi Jinping speaks at event to commemorate former president Jiang Zemin centenaryDaily MailTourist teen's grieving family demand $105M from NYC after 'stray electrical current' made Central Park horse bolt and kill their son, lawsuit claims
The Daily Newsstand · Free, Always
Monday, August 17, 2026

Business and mining leaders resist push to slash migration intake

Translate

Powerful business and mining groups are resisting a push across the political spectrum to slash migration, warning Australia needs a steady flow of workers to deliver on a pipeline of projects and keep the economy moving.

The government is poised to cut migration and is considering forcing skilled migrants' families to be processed offshore, while the shadow housing minister has backed "modest" cuts focused on backpackers and international students.

It was later revealed his cabinet colleague colleagues had not been consulted on the proposal.

One Nation's leader Pauline Hanson said earlier this month she does "not care" what effect sweeping migration cuts would have on businesses, sticking with the party's line to significantly cut the intake to give Australia a "breather".

Australian Industry Group boss Innes Willox said he was "enormously concerned" about suggestions the government or other parties were considering tinkering with migration in a way which would discourage workers from coming to Australia.

"We are in a global war for talent, and we need to be as responsible but as welcoming as possible,"

he said.

He said a number of big projects including the Olympics build in Queensland would not get done without skilled migrant labour, warning the immigration system must have "integrity and value".

"That's for the migrant, the employer, their family, and the economy as a whole," he said. 

Australian Industry Group Chief Executive Innes Willox says manufacturing sector feeling the burn.

Innes Willox says Australia must remain an attractive destination for migrant workers.  (AAP: Mick Tsikas)

Minerals Council boss Tania Constable said her members needed about 40,000 new migrant workers over the next three years to resource existing and approved projects.

She said while she supported the goal of securing services and housing to meet the needs of Australians, migrant workers were critical to keeping the economy going.

"Across the board, we have a shortage," she said.

"We need those workers, and we need them pretty quickly."

Migrant workers indispensable to mining sector

Chamber of Minerals and Energy WA chief executive Aaron Morey said the mining sector was already struggling to source workers and could not afford to "go backwards".

"Migrant workers are more important to the WA economy than they are to any other economy in the country," he said.

"The important thing for us is that we don't go backwards. It would make a difficult situation even harder to manage."

Ms Constable said the number of migrant workers in the minerals sector had more than doubled since 2021, but the industry was still experiencing shortages.

The government's current permanent migration intake is 185,000 places, about 70 per cent of which are skilled workers, with the majority of the remainder their families. 

The Coalition has  not released its proposed migration numbers aside from a promise to tie it to housing completions. 

In an interview last week, One Nation leader Pauline Hanson said she wants to reduce the 185,000 permanent migration number to 130,000.

The party has not nominated which visa streams would be subject to its 130,000 target, except for 75,000 people they said are in Australia illegally.

Mining magnate Gina Rinehart, who owns Hancock Industries in WA, has thrown her support behind One Nation.

A close up image of a woman with short brown hair against a black background.

Tania Constable says the number of migrant workers in the mining sector has doubled since 2021.  (AAP: Lukas Coch)

Ms Constable said while she could not comment on the specific numbers put forward by the party, she would continue to advocate for all parties to "get the balance right".

"We will ensure that we present of all the policy options that we think are right for our industry … and we will do that without prejudice and without favour," she said.

Mr Morey said Mrs Rinehart's support of One Nation did not impact the industry's ability to criticise certain policies.

"Absolutely not," he said.

"Irrespective of which party and political persuasion, what is important to maintain our sector is to ideally increase and at least maintain the number of skilled migration."

Government slows intake of working holidays visas

Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke yesterday confirmed the government had quietly slowed the intake of working holiday visa applications but did not explain why.

"They are still being processed, but they are being processed more slowly than they were previously," he said.

Mr Willox said temporary workers, including those on working holiday visas, were a "central" part of the Australian workforce particularly in regional communities and agriculture.

"They play really important gap filler role in the economy, and it shouldn't be underestimated," he said.

"Business don't need permanent labour; they need temporary labour to fill a need and that is where temporary workers play a really important role."

Tony Burke to the left stands with Anthony Albanese.

Tony Burke confirmed the government had slowed down its processing of working holiday visas.  (ABC News: Matt Roberts)

Mr Burke said the primary visas used in the agricultural industry were the Pacific Australia Labour Mobility (PALM) scheme visa, which is a scheme for workers from the Pacific and Timor-Leste. 

"One of the things that happened when we started to improve the worker protections on PALM was, not overwhelmingly, but some of the worst operators said if we've got to have standards to PALM workers, we will just switch to backpackers.

View the original on ABC News (Australia)

KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.