Man charged with Commonwealth offences over alleged Islamophobic incident
A 53-year-old man has been charged with Commonwealth offences over an alleged "Islamophobic incident" that occurred in Darwin earlier this year.
In a statement NT Police said the man had been charged with two counts of threatening force or violence against a person "due to protected group status causing fear to that group".
Police said the incident occurred on June 7, when the man allegedly directed the threats to an "adult man, his pregnant wife and their young child".
The spokesperson said detectives and firearms enforcement unit officers arrested the man on Tuesday with the assistance of the Joint Counter Terrorism Team.
"As a result of the charges, police also seized the man's firearms and suspended his firearms licence," the statement read.
The man has been granted bail and will appear in Darwin Local Court on October 1.
NT Police Acting Commander Robert Griffiths labelled the alleged conduct as "unacceptable".
"Every person has the right to go about their daily lives and spend time with their family without fear, intimidation or persecution," he said.
"No-one should be targeted because of who they are, what they believe, or where they come from."
Acting Commander Griffiths said police were committed to "investigating and holding accountable those who seek to threaten, intimidate and vilify others".
KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.