Bollywood HungamaSCOOP: Police Company shoot halted for 2 hours on Day 1 after FWICE intervention over RGV’s pending duesPunchEPL: João Pedro signs new Chelsea deal until 2032וואלהגוטליב במתקפה נגד סביבת נתניהו: "יכול להיות שעלה לכם קצת"The Jerusalem PostIsrael's Syria strike risked scrambling Turkish jets, military escalation, US envoy tells 'Post'Daily MaverickFRENCH LETTER: Pastafarians staring intently at the sunInquirer EntertainmentSue Ramirez mourns mom Chit’s deathUOLSol predomina e Apucarana pode chegar aos 29°C nesta quarta-feiraInquirerSolon: House open to amend proposed budget for flood control projectsSky TG24Varenne sarà tumulato nell'allevamento di Eboli: poi la celebrazione privataWirtualna PolskaZmienili konstytucję, by usunąć prezydenta. Baka przejął urządThe Sydney Morning Herald‘I’m sorry to the kids who follow me’: Kyrgios tests positive for cocaine, faces lengthy ban from tennisFrance 24UN atomic watchdog says found tons of nuclear material at Syria site
The Daily Newsstand · Free, Always
Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Is South China Sea warship breakdown a sign US is ‘taxing reserve capacity’?

Translate

A US guided-missile destroyer that was adrift in the South China Sea without power last month is a sign that America is taxing its reserve capacity as its operation against Iran drags on, according to an analyst.

“This is an extremely unusual occurrence and a variety of equipment and process failures would have to have taken place,” said Brad Martin, a former US Navy captain who is now a senior policy researcher at Washington-based think tank the Rand Corporation.

Failures such as this are a predictable outcome of issues such as deferred maintenance and training gaps,” he said, adding that more details were needed to get a full picture of the incident.

The USS Benfold lost power due to an engineering failure involving its generators on July 24, the US Navy said in a statement cited by USNI News on Friday.

It left the nearly 10,000-tonne Arleigh Burke-class vessel stalled for four days without power in the South China Sea.

The destroyer lost power while carrying out routine operations with the USS George Washington Carrier Strike Group. Photo: Handout

The destroyer lost power while carrying out routine operations with the USS George Washington Carrier Strike Group. Photo: Handout

US Seventh Fleet spokesman Commander Matthew Comer said in the statement that the destroyer lost power while conducting routine operations in the Indo-Pacific with the USS George Washington Carrier Strike Group.

View the original on SCMP China

KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.