ICC hits back after US announces fresh sanctions on senior court figures
Washington on Tuesday announced sanctions against the president of the International Criminal Court (ICC), as the Trump administration ramps up its efforts to "dismantle" the organisation.
In a statement, US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said the US was sanctioning ICC President Tomoko Akane as well as senior trial lawyer Abdoulaye Seye, accusing them of "directly" engaging "in efforts by the ICC to investigate, arrest, detain, or prosecute officials whose government has not consented to ICC jurisdiction."
Rubio, who called the ICC a "corrupt and fatally politicised supranational court," added that it had "maliciously abused its authority and exceeded its mandate," saying it had "repeatedly attempted to assert authority over nationals of the United States and other countries that have not consented to its jurisdiction or ratified the Rome Statute."
Washington has repeatedly accused the ICC of "politicised actions" and of "targeting Israel." The ICC issued an arrest warrant for Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in November 2024 relating to the war in Gaza.
Responding to the US' move in a statement, the ICC reportedly said the new sanctions "undermine the rule of law."
"When judicial actors are threatened for applying the law, it is the international legal order itself that is placed at risk," it said.
In July, the State Department announced plans to embark on a campaign to bring down the court and "systematically disable" its "ability to operate."
It said actions it could take included increased sanctions and visa revocations, as well as travel bans on ICC personnel.
The US had already imposed sanctions against several members of the court, including a number of judges.
KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.