וואלהלשכת נתניהו: תקפנו בסוריה לאחר שאפשרה לכוחות טורקיים להתפרס בשטחהRTP DesportoNeemias Queta promete "focar" atenção nos jogos da seleção e iniciar "boa época"The Jerusalem PostHuckabee urges Israel to act on settler ‘terrorism,’ warns Iran over nuclear programESPN DeportesMusiala explica la condición neurológica que causa sus desmayosESPNWe ranked the best NFL teams to fall short of the Super Bowl: Stacking 16 historic near missesNTVSon dakika deprem mi oldu? Az önce deprem nerede oldu? İstanbul, Ankara, İzmir ve il il AFAD son depremler 19 Ağustos 2026CBS NewsLindsay Clancy said a voice ordered her to kill children, psychologist testifiesThe Hollywood ReporterShawn Hatosy on ‘The Pitt,’ Calls for a Night Shift Spinoff and Projects That Got Away — Including ‘Breaking Bad’!Premium Times2027: INEC projects over 100 million registered votersRFI 中文仅仅是为了纪念朱镕基?Radio-CanadaDans l’Okanagan, environ 150 bâtiments détruits par le feu de Bald RangeLa PresseÉcrasement d’une fusée SpaceX sur la Lune | La NASA publie des photos du cratère
The Daily Newsstand · Free, Always
Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Canada deports another senior member of Iranian regime

Translate
Federal Court
The Federal Court of Canada has rejected the appeal made by a former senior official in the Iranian government who had been living in Canada against a deportation order. Photo by HYUNGCHEOL PARK /Postmedia

Canada has deported a senior member of the Iranian regime after a judge dismissed his appeal, Global News is reporting.

Sign In or Create an Account

or

The Canada Border Services Agency confirmed in a statement to Global that it has removed Iran’s former deputy interior minister and official spokesperson, Syed Salman Samani, from Canada.

Samani is the second regime official to be expelled under a 2022 policy aimed at banning high-ranking members of Iran’s government from the country. He was a career politician in Iran from 2007 to 2021, before his arrival in Canada in October of that year, according to the CBSA.

His deportation was ordered by the Immigration and Refugee Board (IRB) in 2024, reports Global. An appeal of that decision was rejected by the Federal Court, as per a decision released this week. Justice Sébastien Grammond noted that Samani told the CBSA he “had significant power and influence over (Iranian) government decisions.”

Posted

Get a dash of perspective along with the trending news of the day in a very readable format.

By signing up you consent to receive the above newsletter from Postmedia Network Inc.

A welcome email is on its way. If you don't see it, please check your junk folder.

The next issue of NP Posted will soon be in your inbox.

Moreover, Samani’s ministry oversaw police forces “responsible for the widespread killing of civilians and other human rights abuses,” stated Grammond. And Samani “publicly defended the ministry’s conduct” during the 2019 deadly crackdown. He “publicly threatened” politicians who questioned the police conduct, while insisting to the CBSA that he did not do anything wrong.

Nevertheless, Samani said he left Iran because demonstrators were killed. And he told the CBSA he was afraid of being harmed if Canada sent him back. The judge ruled against that concern and stated it was countered by Canada’s interest in expelling people responsible for human rights violations.

Samani tried to keep his appeal secret, but the judge dismissed that application. However, the court agreed to seal the case files.

Four years ago, reports Global, the federal government banned all senior officials connected with the Iranian regime but has since struggled in deporting them. The media outlet says data released at the end of June shows that the CBSA has launched 181 investigations into senior Iranian officials suspected of living in Canada and has identified 37 individuals.

Eight left Canada before deportations hearings commenced, reports Global. The IRB has issued deportation orders for three more. Meanwhile, 19 deportation proceedings are in progress, while seven were found not to be senior regime members. Fifty-five are still under investigation.

Our website is the place for the latest breaking news, exclusive scoops, longreads and provocative commentary. Please bookmark nationalpost.com and sign up for our daily newsletter, Posted, here.

Join the Conversation

This website uses cookies to personalize your content (including ads), and allows us to analyze our traffic. Read more about cookies here. By continuing to use our site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

View the original on National Post

KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.