ESPN DeportesChivas respira tras gris triunfo en TorreónThe Jerusalem PostIsrael and Honduras deepen defense ties with new memorandum of understandingוואלהרעידת אדמה בעוצמה 5.87 הכתה באינדונזיהPunchNigeria targets local production of military hardware, anti-drone systemsESPNVikings lose Adams for season due to knee injuryالنهارأمّة "جيل زد" الأميركية صارت هنا… لسوء حظ بنيامين نتنياهوInquirerFormer OVP officer takes stand as prosecution’s 1st hostile witnessABC NewsHayden Panettiere dies at 36NTVKayseri’de kadın cinayeti: Otelin 5’inci katından aşağı attıThe Sydney Morning HeraldNashville star Hayden Panettiere dies at age 36ConsequenceHayden Panettiere Dead at 36Daily MailMoment fisherman, 31, is rescued alive after 15 days trapped in an underwater cave
The Daily Newsstand · Free, Always
Monday, August 17, 2026

Over 100 typhoon-hit families get new homes in La Carlota City

Translate
Over 100 typhoon-hit families get new homes in La Carlota City
The 105 houses built for typhoon survivors at the Ferlou Relocation Site in Barangay Cubay, La Carlota City. (Photo courtesy of La Carlota PIO)

LA CARLOTA CITY, Negros Occidental — The Negrense Volunteers for Change (NVC) Foundation has turned over 105 new houses to families in La Carlota City whose homes were destroyed by Typhoon Tino.

The houses, located at the Ferlou Relocation Site in Barangay Cubay, were formally blessed and turned over on Saturday, Aug. 15, in a ceremony attended by city officials, NVC representatives, and the beneficiaries.

The La Carlota City government owns the houses.

Article continues after this advertisement

READ: 31 dead, 59 missing in Negros as Tino batters island

FEATURED STORIES

NEWSINFO

NEWSINFO

NEWSINFO

Fr. Gerardo “Tata” Caro Jr. led the blessing of the houses, which are now occupied by the beneficiaries.

NVC formally turned over the housing project to the La Carlota City government.

Mayor Jose Luis “Joelu” Jalandoni thanked the NVC Foundation, its donors, and everyone who helped make the project possible.

“It’s a model of public-private partnership,” Jalandoni said.

Article continues after this advertisement

The families could not return to their former homes because the areas where they previously lived had been declared no-build zones following the typhoon.

NVC president Millie Kilayko told the beneficiaries that the housing project was part of the organization’s mission to serve vulnerable communities.

Article continues after this advertisement

“Do not thank us. We are only fulfilling our obligation as an organization to serve those who have less,” Kilayko said.

She said the beneficiaries should instead thank God, whose love moved people to donate resources for the construction of the houses.

The project was funded by donors from across the Philippines and abroad who responded to NVC’s appeal for assistance through social media.

Kilayko said anonymous donors funded 28 houses, while a small school in Pampanga was among the first to contribute.

She also cited individual acts of generosity, including a young woman in Australia who baked cookies to raise funds and a teenager who asked his grandmother to turn his Christmas gifts into a donation for a house.

NVC employees also made personal contributions, with their collective donations funding another house, she said.

READ: ‘Tino’ causes P1.2B in sugar loss, affects 16K farmers

“Every NVC employee also made a personal contribution so that their collective donation could also fund a house,” Kilayko said.

Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.

Your subscription has been successful.

The 26-square-meter houses have two bedrooms, a living room with a balcony, and a toilet./coa

View the original on Inquirer

KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.